Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
White Fish

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:08 pm
Does anyone have an easy recipe for white fish?

cindy324

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:42 pm
I usually make white fish for shabbos. All I do is bring a pot of water to a boil, add a whole onion quartered, a large carrot, a large stalk celery, a LOT of sugar , like a whole cup, we like it sweet ( also if you're using pike skin to make the water gel, the gel tastes a lot better with a lot of sugar) bring the whole thing to a boil, add the fish slices, and cook about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:48 pm
Thanks cindy324. You are a lifesaver. I am making white fish tonight. What do you mean by using pike skin to make the water gel?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 12 2007, 12:23 pm
we don't get it in c.h., I think only chasidsciche ppl can get it!

it takeh thickens the sauce.

SouthernShalom

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 3:11 pm
Anyone else have any white fish recipes? You could probbably substitute it where cod would be used. Any ideas?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 6:26 pm
Sure.

Boil very little water. Add a lot of cut up onions and a lot of sugar and some salt.

Add your slices. Cook very little, just until the slices flake.

Serve cold.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 15 2007, 8:12 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
we don't get it in c.h., I think only chasidsciche ppl can get it!

it takeh thickens the sauce.

what are you talking about ... I used to get it all the time when I lived in ch ... anyway it will be just as good without the pike and with less sugar ... just don't put in as much water ...

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jun 16 2007, 10:58 pm
The fish guy has a standing order to send it to me when he gets it; for some reaosn they don't get the more expensive fish.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 11:57 am
I am making white fish this week, never made it really, we eat salmon here. I also want to add the gefilte to the pot. DO I add it after the white fish is almost done? I remember that I didn't put them all in together.
please help!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 12:19 pm
sooo, when do I add the gefilta fish? my older sis is not picking up her phone, and the white fish is cooking already!! help!

boruchhashem

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 12:58 pm
I would first cook the gefilte, since it needs more time than the white fish does
but since you already cooked the fish, I would take it out, and then put in the gefilte for 1 and a half -2 hours

grin

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 1:01 pm
I make my fish in a frying pan, on top of browned onions - brown, turn over and add lemon juice and spices, simmer until done.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 3:23 pm
grin wrote:
I make my fish in a frying pan, on top of browned onions - brown, turn over and add lemon juice and spices, simmer until done.

how long do you simmer it for? I have thin, long fish fillets, how long do they need if I do it ina a frying pan with a bit of tomato sc and onion?

SouthernShalom

Post Wed, Jun 25 2008, 3:54 pm
Beauty and the Beast wrote:
I am making white fish this week, never made it really, we eat salmon here. I also want to add the gefilte to the pot. DO I add it after the white fish is almost done? I remember that I didn't put them all in together.
please help!

So do you have to use pike skin to make it gell or will it gell? The fillets I get have skin on them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics