Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Grape juice for 4 cups
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 19 2023, 11:57 pm
I'm pregnant this year and can't drink wine for the seder. Grape juice makes me feel sick and makes my stomach hurt. Any tips?

giftedmom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:02 am
As your Rav what’s the smallest possible shiur

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:03 am
Light grape juice is much easier on the stomach. You can also dilute light grape juice with water, ask a Rav how much so it is still considered "hagefen".

Also, find out the smallest "shiur" that you can halachically fulfil your obligation for each cup. If I recall correctly, you definitely don't need to drink the whole cup (years ago I read a pamphlet on this topic or maybe it was in one of the Pesach list books?...unfortunately, I don't remember any particulars).

I think you can drink water between cups, which might help settle your stomach. Ask a Rav.

Definitely speak to your Rav, since the total amount you'll need to drink might be manageable.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:07 am
Also, if it is the sugar that bothers you, there might be a very dry low alcohol wine that can work for 1-2 cups. Even though you are pregnant, depending on the stage of your pregnancy, the alcohol content of the wine, and the total amount you drink, it might be ok. Ask your OB.

(The reason why I'm even daring to post this is because my relative, who is a dr, has done something similar when pregnant. She read the research and concluded that the risk of her particular circumstance was minimal to nonexistent)

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:08 am
Also ask your doctor. I drink 4 cups of wine every year when pregnant (small shiur) with no ill effects. In many countries alcohol in moderation is considered perfectly normal when pregnant.

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:20 am
I second using light grape juice.

If you don't do artificial sweetener, do some watered-down grape juice. Ask rav how much to water down.

I can't drink wine, ever, even if not pregnant. It burns my esophagus and makes me turn red.

miami85

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:26 am
I had this problem one year, I found the bubbly grape juice more palatable.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:43 am
I can't drink any kind of grape juice and I do tea with direction of my rov. There are many options to explore if you CAN have grape juice in small amounts or lighter versions

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 12:53 am
amother Apple wrote:
I second using light grape juice.

If you don't do artificial sweetener, do some watered-down grape juice. Ask rav how much to water down.

I can't drink wine, ever, even if not pregnant. It burns my esophagus and makes me turn red.

Kedem light grape juice doesn't have artificial sweetener. It is made from lower sugar grapes and diluted with water.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:10 am
I’m in the same situation. I drink Israeli grape juice, not kedem. I forget the name of the brand but it has no heartburn stickers in it. It’s much smoother

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:15 am
Kedem light grape juice contains Acesulfame Potassium: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ssium

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 2:15 am
Ask your Rov. I had GD during my last pregnancy and for Seder I used tea. I just had to drink enough. And say Shehakol, nor hagafen.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 7:59 pm
minimum shiur is 1.9 oz. I'm diabetic so that's what I'm doing

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:02 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Kedem light grape juice doesn't have artificial sweetener. It is made from lower sugar grapes and diluted with water.
Thought so too until someone taught me otherwise on here. Very disappointing.

OP I'm going to do grape juice diluted with water in a tiny cup

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:35 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Thought so too until someone taught me otherwise on here. Very disappointing.

OP I'm going to do grape juice diluted with water in a tiny cup

I just learned something new today!!!!!

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:43 pm
Kedem light grape juice does not have any artificial sweeteners

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:46 pm
Artificial sweeteners would have to be listed in the ingredients list and they are not. Please stop spreading misinformation, and stop believing everything you read on here too.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:50 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
Artificial sweeteners would have to be listed in the ingredients list and they are not. Please stop spreading misinformation, and stop believing everything you read on here too.

Not sure why the harsh tone is necessary.
This screenshot lists acesulfame potassium.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:50 pm
I just saw the kedem light has 15g sugar per serving. Does anyone know, what is the sugar content of Moscato or Malvasia? Is it more or less?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 20 2023, 8:56 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Not sure why the harsh tone is necessary.
This screenshot lists acesulfame potassium.

I just learned from a poster on this thread that acesulfame potassium (ace K) is an artificial sweetener. I checked the bottle in my fridge and it is most definitely listed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics