Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
PSA: Don't send you kids to playgroup with chometz
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:51 am
I know you're busy and sometimes there's no time to give breakfast in the morning but please at least this week, don't send your kid to playgroup holding chometz! It's not fair to the morah.
If you want to ask her if it's ok, text her before coming. Don't ask when you're already there and child will cry because his bag of cookies is taken away!
Thank you!
A morah who's also trying to clean her house before pesach.
(It happens way more often than you think! Wink )

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:53 am
My childs morah didnt say anything about not sending so im assuming I can still send

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:54 am
Every morah has their policy on this and should let parents know their policy. My son's morah has no issue with this and they have their regular lunches and snack. What are you serving for lunch? Most regular lunch foods are chometz.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 12:58 am
School is over Thursday you have a full week to clean the classroom. It’s not fair to expect kids to eat Pesach food an extra week. Are your kids eating Pesach breakfast lunch and suppers this week also. It’s not fair to demand this of parents. Save one room in your house that you will clean on Friday it’s very doable. If you have playgroup until Tuesday you can make this demand but it’s still over a week until Pesach.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:13 am
Ds’s morah wrote in newsletter to please not send chametz on Wednesday and Thursday

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:18 am
amother OP wrote:
I know you're busy and sometimes there's no time to give breakfast in the morning but please at least this week, don't send your kid to playgroup holding chometz! It's not fair to the morah.
If you want to ask her if it's ok, text her before coming. Don't ask when you're already there and child will cry because his bag of cookies is taken away!
Thank you!

If you care you need to let the parents know.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:21 am
My son's morah said don't send them holding chometz because they're working on hagaddahs in the morning. Lunch is regular. Your PSA isn't across the board

Pesach clean that room last. Your playgroup shouldn't be near your kitchen.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:23 am
That’s not reasonable to expect parents to send kosher for Pesach food a whole 2 weeks in advance. Most people aren’t kashered yet so would be extremely limited in how many brown bag lunches they could send. That’s one of the downsides of having a playgroup in your house, kids need to eat.
You can have the kids only eat sitting down or one room.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:23 am
If you don’t send chometz what does the morah feed the kids for lunch? Lady fingers and macaroons?

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 1:36 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Sorry, it's unfair to the kids to have limit their food options ten days before Pesach. Pesach is hard enough for some of them with them not having their favorite comfort foods. It's almost cruel to start limiting options so many days in advance for those kids who have difficulty with them.

The kids' needs come first. If you're running a playgroup and not prioritizing their needs, it would be worrisome to me. If you take away a bag of cookies from a kid a week before pesach, that's just awful. There's enough time to clean up chometz when vacation starts. Limit the food eating in one room and then do this room last.

A truly good caring morah wouldn't do this to her charges. Perhaps it's time to reassess your priorities.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 5:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Just like everyone else will be cleaning their homes before pesach, if this is something important to you, you have to tell the parents. Otherwise, its a week and a half before pesach. Dont make kids not have chsmetz even longer than they need to.

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 5:29 am
Would you send your child with Cheerios, Soup nuts, other snacks that are really hard to pick up. Bread is hard enough to watch the kids at the table eating. It gets crumbly. Maybe at least the Cheerios and other tiny Chametz snacks keep away from playgroup.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 5:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Everyone is answering the same way so maybe I’m wrong, but the way I interpreted this was not “only send in kosher for pesach food with your child”. To me, it seems OP is just asking you to not bring in your child actually holding food that’s chometz.

Assuming the playgroup room is fine for chometz, but if the kid has to walk through a house to get there than it’s making all those spaces impossible to clean beforehand too. I don’t think she’s saying no chometz in general, but I could be wrong.

Either way I don’t think it really changes the responses, as I agree with a lot of what was said.

1. If you feel this way, tell the parents. You say the parents shouldn’t wait until the last second to ask- they shouldn’t have to ask. If you suddenly are no longer ok with them being dropped off holding food, you are the one who needs to say something, not the other way around.

2. I think either way you just need to assume that any areas kids have access to will need to wait to be cleaned. It’s just something that comes with this line of work. Most playgroups are giving off well enough in advance that you can still take care of it, and if you aren’t one of those then fine, make an official policy by telling the parents

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:13 am
I agree!
I'm a morah too, and I really don't like it. Even when it's not pesach time it's really not nice. I don't like food around my toys if I can help it. And if I try to take it away then I get the tantrum, instead of the parents who should've made sure that the child had no Chometz in their hands before bringing them in!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 6:23 am
My daughter's legal daycare has a rule year round that they can't walk in holding food- if they need breakfast put it in their backpack and let the teacher know at dropoff that they still need to have breakfast and they'll settle them at the table right away to eat

amother
Springgreen

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:20 am
My kids are eating chametz at home. I didn’t see anything in the newsletter about not sending in chametz. I assume they’ll quickly clean that room after playgroup is out for Pesach and then sell it. What do you expect the playgroup kids to eat?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:40 am
amother Brown wrote:
I agree!
I'm a morah too, and I really don't like it. Even when it's not pesach time it's really not nice. I don't like food around my toys if I can help it. And if I try to take it away then I get the tantrum, instead of the parents who should've made sure that the child had no Chometz in their hands before bringing them in!

Instead of taking it away, why can't you just have them eat it at a table?
And if you don't want them walking in with food you should tell the parents.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:48 am
I think the PSA needs to say don't send your kids to playgroup with chometz in their hands.

That makes sense to me. I don't always know what's in my toddler's hands before it's too late and gets into the toys.

No chometz at all is ridiculous and not what the OP meant I imagine.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:48 am
amother Daylily wrote:

This.
My morah made it clear at beg of the yr not to walk in with food

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 8:00 am
amother Daylily wrote:

I do that, but it means I have to be on top of them, when they finish, clean them etc. Before they get off the chair and go play on their own. Not ideal but I do that. I do tell the parents, they just apologise said child wouldn't come in otherwise!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries