Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell me about St Louis

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:19 pm
We are coming from a relatively small OOT community. We don't need a lot of frills. Some of my kids go to more yeshivish schools and some more MO.

How is housing? Property taxes?

Growing or shrinking community?

Perrys

Post Sun, Mar 26 2023, 7:34 pm
Growing!!!!! Pm me for more info

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 7:13 pm
It's an absolutely wonderful city to live in. (I'm from the NY area.) It's affordable and insanely family friendly. Incredibly warm. The kids are so down to earth. Very low level of gashmius. Airport is only 10 min away so it's easy to fly in and out when needed. There's almost no traffic and everything is 5-10 min away. The schools are walkable, which is amazing. Life is easy here, aside from the lack of kosher restaurants .

The right wing community is growing. The modern orthodox community has been small for the last 5 years or so after a bit of a decline but it's stable. Both schools are good, not great.

The only negative, if this applies to you, is that I think people in the middle hashkafically struggle to find their place. There's no middle ground like in larger communities.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Mar 31 2023, 7:19 pm
Is there a kollel there?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 12:49 pm
Do the neighboring non-Jews seem hostile?

Perrys

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 9:18 pm
There is a community kollel
There’s also a lakewood kollel in Chesterfield

The non Jews are not hostile

amother
Diamond

Post Sat, Apr 01 2023, 11:07 pm
The kollel is wonderful. Such sweet down to earth families, some of which end up staying here. The non jews in the neighborhood are warm/friendly if you talk to them, which I hope you do if you move here. I have not encountered any anti semitism in my 20 years, BH.

There is not a ton of school choice and there are certain amenities that may never pan out here, but with online shopping it's not so bad.

amother
Freesia

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 12:19 am
We were there once for medical reasons at St Louis children's hospital. I would love to move there but DH won't hear of it Sad
So we're stuck in the dirty city in our tiny rented apartment with a crazy high pressure fast paced lifestyle and I know life could be so much better

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 8:53 am
What zip code is the eruv in? What about Chesterfield zip?

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Apr 02 2023, 1:21 pm
There's almost nothing on the market now. But you can look at zillow and get a feel for the houses and prices. There are townhouses and apartments for rent on the main street (Delmar Blvd.... the units are 5 min walk or less from the shuls, depending on which one) and many people start with that to make house hunting easier. Delcrest Dr has a lot of rentals too. That's zip 63124. The zip code for most of the frum area in U City is 63130. Chesterfield is 63017.

Really, like in most frum communities, you need a local realtor who knows who's getting ready to sell/move.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating