Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Parenting books for toddlers

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 9:46 am
Can anyone recommend an amazing book? My 18 month old is knh a very very demanding child and I feel so out of my depth. I struggle every day and feel like I have no clue what I’m supposed to be doing differently. If there is one which focuses on all areas eg sleeping, eating and behaviour that would be great! Thanks

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:31 am
I can think of great books that have interesting approaches to dealing with toddlers but none that tell you what to feed your kid or when to put your kid to sleep since there is such a range with kids and families for what works for them. I really like dr becky and I know she has some sort of paid parenting program that I heard can be very helpful.

I happen to find 18 months to be a very hard age. it does get easier. my little one is 20 months and he's a lot easier than he was 2 months ago

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:59 pm
That’s good to hear that 20 months can already be easier. I have been told he probably won’t get much easier till he’s at least 2.5!
Not looking to read exactly what to feed him or what time to put him to bed. Most like how to instill a healthy attitude towards food (he is so fussy) and advise on what to do when he refuses to go to sleep etc.
I’ve never heard of dr Becky what is the book called?

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
That’s good to hear that 20 months can already be easier. I have been told he probably won’t get much easier till he’s at least 2.5!
Not looking to read exactly what to feed him or what time to put him to bed. Most like how to instill a healthy attitude towards food (he is so fussy) and advise on what to do when he refuses to go to sleep etc.
I’ve never heard of dr Becky what is the book called?

Look up Ellyn Satter's Division of Responsibility. Basically you serve food only at set meal and snack times and you include a healthy variety of foods. You casually include 'junk' food here and there, served alongside other foods, if your child is exposed to it anyway. Don't label some foods as good and others as bad. Sounds counterintuitive to some, but if you want your toddler to really have a healthy relationship with food, you don't want to talk about how some foods are unhealthy and should be eaten in limited quantities only. You do not bribe your child "You can have X food if you finish Y food."

You include a safe food or two in meals if your child is going through a picky phase. They might not eat it anyway. Some kids do not consistently eat foods that they recently enjoyed and that's ok. It's normal to have picky phases and very-small-appetite phases and really nothing to worry about.

The key to DOR is to remember that actually eating the food is a job that is entirely up to the kid. It's not your business. Take that into your attitude--once you have provided the food, your job is done. Your child can make whatever choices they want in terms of whether and how much they eat. You are totally ok with whatever they do. This casual attitude will help prevent power struggles and ensuing feeding problems.

Hatzlacha!

(Books: "Child of Mine," "Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family")

SuperWify

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 3:35 pm
How to talk so little kids can listen

Good inside dr Becky

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:44 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Look up Ellyn Satter's Division of Responsibility. Basically you serve food only at set meal and snack times and you include a healthy variety of foods. You casually include 'junk' food here and there, served alongside other foods, if your child is exposed to it anyway. Don't label some foods as good and others as bad. Sounds counterintuitive to some, but if you want your toddler to really have a healthy relationship with food, you don't want to talk about how some foods are unhealthy and should be eaten in limited quantities only. You do not bribe your child "You can have X food if you finish Y food."

You include a safe food or two in meals if your child is going through a picky phase. They might not eat it anyway. Some kids do not consistently eat foods that they recently enjoyed and that's ok. It's normal to have picky phases and very-small-appetite phases and really nothing to worry about.

The key to DOR is to remember that actually eating the food is a job that is entirely up to the kid. It's not your business. Take that into your attitude--once you have provided the food, your job is done. Your child can make whatever choices they want in terms of whether and how much they eat. You are totally ok with whatever they do. This casual attitude will help prevent power struggles and ensuing feeding problems.

Hatzlacha!

(Books: "Child of Mine," "Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family")

This sounds really interesting..going to look it up thanks!

metacognizant

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:31 pm
“Cooperative and Connected” by Alethea Solter
“Good Inside” by Dr Becky (this one probably made me a better wife as well as a better mother)

baltomom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:43 pm
It's been about two decades, but I found What to Expect The Toddler Years to be extremely helpful with my first challenging toddler. I remember opening up to random pages and saying, Yes, she does this! Yes, this is what she's like!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics