Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Help Toddler Weight Gain

supermama2

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 9:49 am

Hi there, Do you have suggestions for helping a 15 mo. old gain weight? Granted he has just started walking ~3 months ago but his Dr. is wanting to watch my son's weight to see that it's the walking that caused the weight drop. Anyway, I don't want Dr's harassing me about this so I want to put some chubs on my sweet little guy. He doesn't like milk ( even chocolate )and wonder of wonders he doesn't like ice cream either..I've been nursing him but as of this month he only nurses to sleep sometimes. Thanks!

Sarah

Amital

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 8:40 am
Higher calorie, not low fat food? More snacks? It kind of depends on why the little one doesn't seem to be gaining. My oldest didn't gain because he was too busy to eat and liked to run instead. Offering more food, more finger food, and more often helped somewhat, but he's still pretty skinny--apparently I was like that, too, so there's something genetic about it, too.

Here is a thread with a similar topic from a while back...

smiley:)

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:02 am
Yep. That was my thread. My son didn't gain weight for 1 1/2 yrs. Now he did gain a bit over a kilo in the last yr and a half (he is now just about 3). I have come to the conclusion that the large majority of children would not be capable of stam starving themselves. I also came to the conclusion that I can get down his throat what he doesnt want to eat, so not to even try. Leave it in his lap.

And dont let ppl stam scare you if you see your child is doing well. Stay on top of it. Try different techniques to get him to eat. But so long as you see he has energy, is not lethargic, is growing and developing in other ways, and you are in touch with drs, dont go insane.

tovasmom

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:54 am
Overeating is a learned behavior, one which I don't think you want to teach your child, OP. As long as he is doing well and growing along his own curve, most doctors will not make you nuts. Try to make sure he takes a vitamin every day and try to get him to eat, but don't kill yourself bec. most kids will eat when they are hungry. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics