Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do boys wear tzitzis?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:15 pm
Basic question - my 12 year old son has been wearing t-shirt tzitzis since he was little, but is now asking for the regular type. Don't they need to be worn over a garment though? So what do most boys do - wear an undershirt, then tzitzis and then a shirt? That sounds like so many layers for the summer...

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:18 pm
My 12 year old son wears a hanes or jockey tee shirt and wool tzitzis. Once the weather is getting really warm he wears a short sleeve shirt so he doesnt find it so hot.

My younger kids wear cotton tzitizis with or without an undershirt depends on what is more comfortable for them.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Basic question - my 12 year old son has been wearing t-shirt tzitzis since he was little, but is now asking for the regular type. Don't they need to be worn over a garment though? So what do most boys do - wear an undershirt, then tzitzis and then a shirt? That sounds like so many layers for the summer...

Yes that is what they wear.
12 years old is a bit old for undershirt tzitzis. He should we wearing an undershirt, then tzitzis and a shirt on top.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 12:57 pm
My 5yo wearsregular tzitzis without an undershirt underneath. Never knew it was an issue

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:03 pm
My husband wears only tshirt tzitses. Undershirts is built in

keym

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:09 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
My 5yo wearsregular tzitzis without an undershirt underneath. Never knew it was an issue

There are some very well-regarded shitos that hold that you can't put tzitzis on undergarments -meaning the garment that is there to catch sweat and odors.
Aylor

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:28 pm
The boys are hot in the summer, just like, and maybe even more than the girls.
My boys are wearing more layers than I am. They wear undershirts, Tzitzis, shirts, long pants, socks, sneakers.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 1:34 pm
As per my husbands insistence, my 8yo wears t shirt tzitzis over an undershirt since he’s wearing tzitzis

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 2:12 pm
our rav said the zizis cant touch the skin so we do regular zizis and undershirt underneath it.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 2:15 pm
amother Midnight wrote:

Really? Why? I thought the first beged touching your skin should not be tzitis?

My boys wear a sleeveless undershirt and regular cotton tzitzis from the age of 3. I cut the strings before using because they are way too long for a little boy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 3:23 pm
Thanks for the replies! Since this will be our first time buying undershirts - any thoughts on best types? Short-sleeves vs sleevless? etc.

keym

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 3:26 pm
Personal preference.
Some of my boys prefer the short sleeve t-shirt kind, some sleeveless.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 3:27 pm
sleeveless forsure! the ribbed ones from fruit of loom or hanes I forgot the brand but cheap on target and amazon. they wear them to swim also

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 5:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yes. That is what is done.

gr82no

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 5:53 pm
The tzitzis can’t be touching the skin which is why many don’t wear undershirt tzitzis.
There is a mitzva ureisem oso that you should see them which is why some people wear the tzitzis on top of the shirt and some have just the actual tzitzis sticking out of the pants.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:09 pm
Is already developing?

Because once they do, they usually like short sleeved as opposed to sleeveless because of hair/odor etc.

And since he is almost Bar Mitzvah, remember that he will have to wear a natural fabric.

So wld not recommend buying the poly/cotton as he will have to go into 100% cotton or wool by 13. There are non wrinkle cotton ones.

I guess this is your first boy…much nachas!

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:18 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Is already developing?

Because once they do, they usually like short sleeved as opposed to sleeveless because of hair/odor etc.

And since he is almost Bar Mitzvah, remember that he will have to wear a natural fabric.

So wld not recommend buying the poly/cotton as he will have to go into 100% cotton or wool by 13. There are non wrinkle cotton ones.

I guess this is your first boy…much nachas!

My kids never wore short sleeved undershirts. Even after developing. My boys wear the keychain company. The younger ones wear from Childrens place. The bucherim from Jack n Jill or whatever it’s called.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:29 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My kids never wore short sleeved undershirts. Even after developing. My boys wear the keychain company. The younger ones wear from Childrens place. The bucherim from Jack n Jill or whatever it’s called.

Interesting. I guess it goes either way.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Apr 18 2023, 6:37 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Really? Why? I thought the first beged touching your skin should not be tzitis?

My boys wear a sleeveless undershirt and regular cotton tzitzis from the age of 3. I cut the strings before using because they are way too long for a little boy.

Just an fyi you are not allowed to cut the strings with metal which includes a standard scissor.
There a special ceramic scissors for this.

sunshine23

Post Wed, Apr 19 2023, 9:13 am
we have ceramic kitchen knives we use for this
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children