Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help me, DD7 is TERRIFIED of wind

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:42 pm
And I know why...we were walking home a few months ago on shabbos and it suddenly became extremely windy, like to the point that you have to push yourself forward really hard through the wind. Of course, I understand she was TERRIFIED. We got home fine. But now every time it's even a little windy (she checks my phone every day to read how windy is supposed to be) she gets scared. Unless it's like 5mph wind.. She tells me that besides for not liking the feeling of the wind, it's really the sound of the wind rushing by her ears that's too loud for her and the loud noise scares her. So that along with the feeling of wind is just too much. The other week on shabbos when we were getting ready to walk home from my parents house, she had the look of sheer terror (wasn't even super windy, maybe like 13mph) and panicked. My sister helped me walk her halfway home (20 min walk away). Sometimes if I know it's supposed to be windy we don't walk anywhere on shabbos cuz I don't want to force her if she doesn't have to go somewhere! But sometimes it's just breezy in the morning and it gets windy later, what to do? I am waiting for a spot to open up at therapy, but until then, any ideas? Obv if it's a school morning she has to go in the car.I would like to make this not so scary for her!
Thanks for any suggestions Smile

agreer

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:49 pm
Practically - can she wear a hat over her ears to muffle the sound and feel of the wind?

I feel for her and for you.

HUGS.

cookier

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
And I know why...we were walking home a few months ago on shabbos and it suddenly became extremely windy, like to the point that you have to push yourself forward really hard through the wind. Of course, I understand she was TERRIFIED. We got home fine. But now every time it's even a little windy (she checks my phone every day to read how windy is supposed to be) she gets scared. Unless it's like 5mph wind.. She tells me that besides for not liking the feeling of the wind, it's really the sound of the wind rushing by her ears that's too loud for her and the loud noise scares her. So that along with the feeling of wind is just too much. The other week on shabbos when we were getting ready to walk home from my parents house, she had the look of sheer terror (wasn't even super windy, maybe like 13mph) and panicked. My sister helped me walk her halfway home (20 min walk away). Sometimes if I know it's supposed to be windy we don't walk anywhere on shabbos cuz I don't want to force her if she doesn't have to go somewhere! But sometimes it's just breezy in the morning and it gets windy later, what to do? I am waiting for a spot to open up at therapy, but until then, any ideas? Obv if it's a school morning she has to go in the car.I would like to make this not so scary for her!
Thanks for any suggestions Smile

Ear muffs? Like the 180 ones or a running headband to cover her ears?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:54 pm
agreer wrote:
Practically - can she wear a hat over her ears to muffle the sound and feel of the wind?

I feel for her and for you.

HUGS.

Thank you Smile she has been wearing earmuffs, but looking for something that she won't shvitz in in the summer. And she doesn't want it to be too obvious.

balance

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:56 pm
An occupational therapist who specializes in sensory integration should be able to help with this.

Ultimately earmuffs etc are a handicap. You want her to be able to go out without them.

In the meantime, a hoody is still ok for summerwear.

StrongLeah

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 1:57 pm
Poor baby, its tough, hugs to you both. But you can read books and learn about weather, make it an educational explorative adventure about wind or just weather, kinda open up and talk about it but in a fun way. If there is a windy day, have some fun together, either play near the house, maybe fly a kite or something, or stay home and do a fun activity thats relaxing and fun. I would also sit outside near the house when its windy and just feel the wind for maybe 2-5 minutes, kinda desensitize but in a safe way near home.
Keep reminding her that she is safe and this is normal and you will protect her. Validate and validate some more (which Im sure youre doing)

cookier

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you Smile she has been wearing earmuffs, but looking for something that she won't shvitz in in the summer. And she doesn't want it to be too obvious.

Earplugs for summer? These come with a carrying case she can keep on her jacket/bag and just put them in when it gets windy. https://us.loopearplugs.com/pr.....w_wcB

They won’t completely block the feel on the outer ear but they’ll muffle the sound and the feeling of pressure from the wind.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 2:21 pm
My son is like this but about thunderstorms.

These things aren't usually the cause for anxiety, just the trigger. Usually there is an underlying hyperarousal, the nervous system is already hyper alert and watching for danger and then the scary incident will get stuck and poof theres a new phobia or obsession or worry.

I work on treating the underlying hyperarousal because otherwise we're playing whack a mole with new phobias all the time.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 2:29 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
My son is like this but about thunderstorms.

These things aren't usually the cause for anxiety, just the trigger. Usually there is an underlying hyperarousal, the nervous system is already hyper alert and watching for danger and then the scary incident will get stuck and poof theres a new phobia or obsession or worry.

I work on treating the underlying hyperarousal because otherwise we're playing whack a mole with new phobias all the time.

My son too, he's nearly 12...

chick567

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 3:08 pm
Exposure therapy.

First talk about if she wants to learn to be ok with wind. If/when she says yes then start with baby steps.
Set up a fan in your house so she feels safe, and have her stand in front of it.

Then take the fan to your backyard on a quiet day and do the same.

Take baby steps. Talk about feeling the wind and embracing the sensation. Have her be really hot then cool off in front of the fan so the wind becomes associated with a positive sensation of cooling off.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 3:12 pm
One session of emotion code can get rid of this

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 4:39 pm
Thank you so much for all the suggestions💓 I'm definitely encouraging, hopefully it won't be such a long bump in the road... Also, what is emotion code?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 6:25 pm
My son who is 13 is like that.
Terrified of the wind. He is always asking me if there is a little wind if a hurricane is coming.
He also is always checking the weather.
I keep trying to figure out what triggered his fear but come up empty.
Following for suggestions.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 20 2023, 6:32 pm
We went through a period with my son when he was scared of the wind. But he was only 2, after we got caught in a very sudden windy storm in the park.
BH he grew out of it, but I never heard of anyone else scared of the wind till now.
Your daughter sounds very anxious, does she have anxiety with other things?

Do you have someone she can talk to to learn some tools to cope with anxiety?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics