Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bedwetting and camp

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 5:56 am
My 13 year-old daughter isvery excited to be going to camp for the first time. She's a VERY deep sleeper, and bedwetting has been an issue throughout childhood. For the past 2 years it's mostly gone and she rarely uses pull-ups. Her pediatrician had predicted she'd outgrow by around 11 and she mostly has. However, when she's over-tired it comes back. She had a few incidents over Pesach and now she's terrified. If she brings pull-ups to camp, she's sure girls will find out. Even 1 episode would be devastating. Her plan now is to go to camp and not to sleep the whole time there. Somehow, I doubt the efficacy of this plan.

I know about the nasal spray but she's so embarrassed that she's adamently against my speaking to her pediatrician. If she finds that I did, she'd feel both betrayed and mortified, and nothing I say can convince her otherwise.

Please help out an anxious, terrified, mortified young teen!

Any ideas?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:00 am
Desmopressin pills. Works like magic.
Great teaching moment to explain that drs are here to help. There many,many kids that use it so no need to be embarrassed. And dr has heard it all.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:15 am
She can ddavp pills and no one has to know. Keep in her cubby and take it before she goes to sleep

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 6:58 am
Thank you for responding. I do think the ddavp pills or spray sound like an excellent idea.

Right now, though, my daughter is so upset at the idea of asking her doctor that she can't even hear me when I try to convince her that it's okay. She's sure that someone else will hear, and the whole world will know, and she'll have to lock herself in her room until her chuppah, and she'll never EVER trust me again!!! (said with all the drama and angst that a 13 year-old can so ably express)

It does not help that she goes to a frum pediatrician. We often meet friends and neighbors in the waiting room, and some of the nurses and PAs have kids in her school. I have no reason to think that the practice would be anything less than professional, and I'm certain that they would protect her privacy, but I can certainly understand where her terror is coming from.

Now what?

Is this something an urgent care would prescribe? Maybe, maybe, she would agree to go someplace WAY out of town for this. Any other way to get the prescription without my daughter being involved?

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:04 am
Maybe take her to a different pediatrician out of area for this.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:31 am
Maybe try telehealth, this way no one can overhear and she’ll feel it’s more private.

Did you try limiting sugar?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:36 am
It is so hard! My 13 year old son has gone to camp on the medication the last 2 summers. I know he won’t want to take it this summer but like your daughter he still wets in rare occasions and those occasions (late nights, too much sugar) really define camp!

Our camp uses jdrugs and the meds arrive at camp in little pouches. He takes one a night and it’s really not a big deal. Lots of kids at camp take meds and no one knows what they’re for.

The only thing I wanted to add is that the pill is a small dose and you need to try it to make sure it works for her. With my son we tried one pill, then 2, then 3 which finally did the trick. From what I understand- 3 is the max dose and it doesn’t work for everyone. I have another son that it doesn’t work for at all.

All this to say that you really need to start working on this with a doctor now to make sure
it works or to come up with another solution. It obviously harder to tell if it works if they only wet occasionally.

If you have a good relationship with the Dr I would talk to them over the phone and explain the situation. I can’t see why they would need to see her in person to start this process.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Apr 27 2023, 7:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you for responding. I do think the ddavp pills or spray sound like an excellent idea.

Right now, though, my daughter is so upset at the idea of asking her doctor that she can't even hear me when I try to convince her that it's okay. She's sure that someone else will hear, and the whole world will know, and she'll have to lock herself in her room until her chuppah, and she'll never EVER trust me again!!! (said with all the drama and angst that a 13 year-old can so ably express)

It does not help that she goes to a frum pediatrician. We often meet friends and neighbors in the waiting room, and some of the nurses and PAs have kids in her school. I have no reason to think that the practice would be anything less than professional, and I'm certain that they would protect her privacy, but I can certainly understand where her terror is coming from.

Now what?

Is this something an urgent care would prescribe? Maybe, maybe, she would agree to go someplace WAY out of town for this. Any other way to get the prescription without my daughter being involved?

Call and ask if it can be prescribed over the phone. If she's up to date on well check up she might not need to come in. I would first try your own pediatrician.
Not sure where you're located but some drs are against this medicine!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children