Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
MBA thru LSU online or CPA

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 7:31 pm
My daughter recently finished her BA with TTI and is looking to further her education. She is debating if she should just continue gathering her credits and then sit for the CPA exams or should she go for a MBA with focus on accounting.
For the MBA she applied to LSU (Louisiana state university) . Does anybody have any experience with this school? Is a MBA from there worth much?
Any advice is appreciated.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:15 pm
I have an MBA from an online university, not a big name school but tuition is very affordable. I also have another primary specialty career path, the MBA was an afterthought in a way, and I was able to use it to move my career forward. If she's interested in leadership and managing people, or working as a Controller or CFO, this combination could help her reach high earner status.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
I have an MBA from an online university, not a big name school but tuition is very affordable. I also have another primary specialty career path, the MBA was an afterthought in a way, and I was able to use it to move my career forward. If she's interested in leadership and managing people, or working as a Controller or CFO, this combination could help her reach high earner status.

She is young and has no work experience yet. (she finished her BA as a senior in high school) she definitely has the natural leadership and managing skills and wants a controller type job but is open to bookkeeping as well.

accountantmommy

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:00 pm
Why not use the mba to get her credits for the cpa exams? Depending on the program and depending on the state she sits for the exams in, she can set her self up to do both. I work with cpas who have done this. If she is interested in a managerial type of role, she can look into getting a CMA which is only 120 credit requirement but does require work experience.

I always tell young accounting students that way more important than degrees and letters after their name is hands on experience. If she has no work experience, I would say it is time to look for an internship before getting locked into a graduate program.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics