Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Milk and meat

rachie

Post Mon, Jun 30 2008, 11:57 pm
how long do youwait after giving a 1 yr old chicken?

cubbie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 2:37 am
Although we wait 4 hours after poultry and 6 after meat for my kids until they are of the age that they can understand I wait until the 3rd hour. So say I gave my baby her lunch at 12.30 I would be ok with giving her a yoghurt at 3.

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 2:48 am
We wait one hour per year of the child's age. So our one year old would wait one hour,

cubbie

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 3:43 am
justanothermother wrote:
We wait one hour per year of the child's age. So our one year old would wait one hour,

Does that mean I have to wait 35 hours??? just joking Rolling Laughter

pink car

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 9:30 am
we wait one hour till the child is two, and then add another hour according to the age...so my 3 year old waits 3 hrs...

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jul 01 2008, 12:24 pm
LAWS ABOUT CHILDREN (different opinions)

-under 3: permitted to feed him dairy immediately after a meat meal. You just have to not give them together.

Shelet halevi, book 4, chapt 84

Divrei chachamim p. 178 in the name of r’ Pinchas Sheinberg

R’ Kaminsky holds under 3 there is no need to create a visible separation, it is also the opinion of Beer moshe in Pitre halacha page 122 (he precises you need to make sure the mouth of the child is clean of any meat)

Habait hayehudi p. 222

Ha kashrut chap. 10

-under 9, you just wait 1 hour because a child has the same status as a sick person because its young body is relatively weak.

Yechave data, book 3, p 187

Khelkat yaakov, book 2 chap 188 (only permitted if the child refuses all non dairy things)

-over 9, the usual gap between 2 meals in the season of the year will be sufficient, which means not necessary to wait 6 h. but only the time that it is usual to wait between lunch and diner according to the season. Winter: much smaller than 6 hours. Those who will want to wait only 1 hour (72 mins or 1h? no idea) for a child over 9 will have opinions to support them.

-if the child has reached the year before its religious majority, 12 for boy 11 for girl, it will have the same status as an adult

Halichot olam book 7 page 42

Yabia omer book 1 yoredea chapt 4

Michne halakhot book 4 chap 68

Habait hayehoudi chap 29 par. 14

-some Ashkenazi decisors say you have to be more machmir: 3 to 5, you need 1 hour. 5 to 10 years, 3 hours. More than 10 years, 6 hours. The one who adopts this chumra is worthy of praise.

-these laws only rule in the case of a meal necessary for the development of the child, not for candies or any dairy treat. Only if the child hasn’t reached 3 could dairy treats be allowed because he does not realize yet-

Yabia omer book 3 chap 3 par. 7

BUT Yalkout yosef chap 89 par 21 says even under 3 cannot get dairy treats after meat (minority/machmir opinion unless it’s your custom)

melalyse

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 2:03 pm
DS is 2.5 and we still give milk right after meat, but not together.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Jul 03 2008, 5:21 pm
When I gave my kids a milk bottle, I would give it right afterwards, if necesariy. Now my kids wait 3 hours and I wait 6. Crying
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics