Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
My son chews on whatever is closest when stressed

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:33 pm
I can't do a necklace because he is 6 and knows its weird. He is ruining clothes and I can't keep replacing. He is mainstreamed but already struggles socially. He doesn't chew on pencils only his collar. Or his tzitzis strings. And yes I know he will outgrow it eventually.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:35 pm
Pacifier at home? Won't work for school.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:36 pm
Mouthing can be a sign of parasites. Or a mineral deficiency. Or possibly oral ties/restricted airway.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 9:56 pm
Would you give him gum? That might help.

Crunchy foods can sometimes satisfy that sensory need- carrots, rice cakes, sourdough pretzels.

They make pencil toppers that are meant to be chewies as well.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:08 pm
https://www.arktherapeutic.com/

Gittu

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:24 pm
I bought on ALI Express a sensory chewing necklace my daughter wears it to school. It works so well it was only like $3

flmommy

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:42 pm
Pencil top chewy thing. They look like cushions for fingers but can be chewed on. Age appropriate

gootlfriends

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 8:27 am
amother Broom wrote:
Mouthing can be a sign of parasites. Or a mineral deficiency. Or possibly oral ties/restricted airway.

Can you elaborate on mineral deficiency? We released his ties at 4 weeks.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 8:37 am
Toothbrush for home
More age appropriate than a pacifier

amother
Broom

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:21 am
gootlfriends wrote:
Can you elaborate on mineral deficiency? We released his ties at 4 weeks.

I've seen parents say that mouthing can be a sign of zinc or iron deficiency and that supplementing with a good quality zinc or getting iron levels up (giving an iron supplement isn't necessarily the best way to go about this) has helped with this behavior.

Re: tongue ties, you might want to follow up and make sure your child's tongue has a good range of motion even though it was released as an infant. Sometimes even after a release they don't learn to use it properly and rest it properly and it can cause downstream issues if it's still restricted even post release.

happyone

Post Wed, May 03 2023, 10:31 am
I chewed on the back of pens growing up in school. There was nothing wrong with me. It became a running joke every time someone found ached pen, they would think it's mine 😀. I'm stopped since...but do bring on the chocolate 🍫!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)