Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What age can a child cross an avenue street themselves?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 4:49 pm
I'm putting this under New York bec I'm talking about the type of streets here specifically....

My son just turned ten and claims almost "everyone" his age can cross avenue streets. I allow him to cross one way streets, this is about two way streets. Is it responsible for me to allow him to? (In general he's a responsible child, but he's my oldest so I'm unsure...)
What about Ocean parkway? McDonald ave? Coney?

Thanks

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:52 pm
I can't remember what age my oldest few where allowed to cross (but I'm sure they do) itcwas definitely way later than mg now 20yr old who has probably been crossing since 8. Yes he travels BP independently (to cheder across town) . No he can not cross Mc donald, pass fr Hamilton, go past 19th Ave or 59th st. He us not allowed to cross in middle of our block. Adults need to know where he is going and the rules are stricter towards dark. We do a lot of travel training discussion prior to independence
Eg. Waiting for light. Looking for cars. Waiting for cars to stop...

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:52 pm
Whoops meant my now 10 yr old not 20yr old LOL

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 5:54 pm
I don’t remember exactly when I crossed main roads, it was around 3rd grade. I’d just be nervous that drivers should be able to see a child crossing in the crosswalk.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 6:00 pm
We're a tall family Smile

seeker

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 8:49 pm
I think it really depends where you live. Even within Brooklyn there are a lot of differences between the areas.
There's also huge variation in 10 year olds and their skills/abilities.
So I guess the real question is as the mom do you feel your kid is ready, and stand by the answer.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm putting this under New York bec I'm talking about the type of streets here specifically....

My son just turned ten and claims almost "everyone" his age can cross avenue streets. I allow him to cross one way streets, this is about two way streets. Is it responsible for me to allow him to? (In general he's a responsible child, but he's my oldest so I'm unsure...)
What about Ocean parkway? McDonald ave? Coney?

Thanks

No way at 10 years old. These are parkways and very dangerous.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries