Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anyones baby ever model?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:55 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
This is why I don't do it. I don't think it's exploiting for an infant, I don't think the baby cares if the shoot is for modeling or for a regular photo shoot. Past infancy I don't see how a child can enjoy it until way older & they really want to. A regular photo shoot is kind of torture for young kids if you think about it.

Of course it's exploiting if the parent is doing it for payment or to get something they can't afford in return. It doesn't matter if it's an infant or older child.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Peony wrote:
Children shouldn't have to work to make money towards anything, even extras. The parents should work to pay for that. Parents have no right to use their children as a way of making money.

You know there are definitely kids that work to earn money, to pay towards camp or seminary.
Just because you think that's completely wrong, doesn't mean it actually is.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:16 pm
My baby modeled a few times this season. I did it because it was a fun and interesting experience, and she really enjoyed it. That said, it usually takes up an entire day and the compensation’s really not much…so probably wouldn’t do it again.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:26 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
You know there are definitely kids that work to earn money, to pay towards camp or seminary.
Just because you think that's completely wrong, doesn't mean it actually is.

Kids that are the age of working towards camp or seminary, are usually the age that understand what it entails and they make the decision if and where they should work. They use the money for something they chose, not for something the parents chose for them. It's is not the same as a mother that makes her young kids model because she can't afford certain things.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
I had my kids model once and I wouldn’t do it again. I don’t want my kids to feel like they are valued for their body, because that’s what modeling is- having your body on display. It’s not a tznius issue for me. I just think that it devalues a person.

THIS
I’m reading through three pages of replies to finally see this post…
You are teaching your children to value how they look. That being pretty is a value. Why would you want to encourage that? And even if you only do it when they are young, later on in life they are going to talk/think/look at the pictures of them being a model.
We teach our children to feel good about themselves, and move on. Not dwell on their looks.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:36 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
My kids model. I usually get paid $300 per shoot. It started out as a favor, but my kids really enjoyed it and asked to do it again. So we did. You can call it exploiting but for us it was a way to spend time with the kids and giving them attention. Are there other ways to give them attention? Sure. But they chose this way.

Do you keep the money or do you give it to your kids?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:40 pm
Just my opinion, especially as someone who’s done this a few times.

Do not do it because you are looking for a new wardrobe. First of all, half the clothes you get will not be your taste or even the right size. And a lot of times it gets dirty or ruined during the shoot (you get what they wear)

It takes a lot of work and time to do this. Like others mentioned if you have that free time available you’ll be much better off getting a side job.. but don’t make your baby work so you can get “nicer” clothes for them. It is work. It requires changing around schedules and getting them to smile at the worst times and dealing with a very overwhelming environment of other kids, photographers, workers etc. Its hectic and most kids, especially babies, are not thrilled to be in that space.

behappy2

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:47 pm
Consider the temperament of your baby? Always smiles and likes strangers and is comfortable in new settings

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Just my opinion, especially as someone who’s done this a few times.

Do not do it because you are looking for a new wardrobe. First of all, half the clothes you get will not be your taste or even the right size
. And a lot of times it gets dirty or ruined during the shoot (you get what they wear)

It takes a lot of work and time to do this. Like others mentioned if you have that free time available you’ll be much better off getting a side job.. but don’t make your baby work so you can get “nicer” clothes for them. It is work. It requires changing around schedules and getting them to smile at the worst times and dealing with a very overwhelming environment of other kids, photographers, workers etc. Its hectic and most kids, especially babies, are not thrilled to be in that space.

This!
The clothes in ads are always a size or two too small (looks cuter that way). Factor in shrinkage from washing and they probably won't be wearable anymore.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
Do you keep the money or do you give it to your kids?

We pay for the gas it took us to get to the location, and we usually take them out to a restaurant to eat which they love. That’s how we spend the money.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:18 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
We pay for the gas it took us to get to the location, and we usually take them out to a restaurant to eat which they love. That’s how we spend the money.

This is not ok. The money should go to them, and not where you choose for it to go to, or for gas to get to the destination. (Seriously?)

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:38 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Do you understand what the definition of exploitation is?

I guess I don't get it. What's wrong with putting a 9 month old baby in front of a camera? The baby is too little to feel pressure. What's the issue? Plz explain.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
I guess I don't get it. What's wrong with putting a 9 month old baby in front of a camera? The baby is too little to feel pressure. What's the issue? Plz explain.

Because mom is using the kid to make money for herself. It doesn't have to do with pressure. Using our kids to make money or get benefits in return, is exploiting. In OP's case, she can't afford the clothing she wants, so she'll use her baby to model so she can maybe get clothing. Mom is supposed to clothe the baby without baby needing to work for it or earn it.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:44 pm
Whether it's considered exploiting or not is all just semantics.

We could just deduce from here that "exploiting" isn't that terrible.

While it's not something I've ever considered doing, I think the reactions here are pretty extreme, OP didn't say she's making a career out of this. I really don't think a one-off modeling session will cause any harm to her baby at all.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:46 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
Whether it's considered exploiting or not is all just semantics.

We could just deduce from here that "exploiting" isn't that terrible.

While it's not something I've ever considered doing, I think the reactions here are pretty extreme, OP didn't say she's making a career out of this. I really don't think a one-off modeling session will cause any harm to her baby at all.

It's not about causing harm. It's about using the baby in return for money or goods. Baby should get clothes without being used.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Peony wrote:
Because mom is using the kid to make money for herself. It doesn't have to do with pressure. Using our kids to make money or get benefits in return, is exploiting. In OP's case, she can't afford the clothing she wants, so she'll use her baby to model so she can maybe get clothing. Mom is supposed to clothe the baby without baby needing to work for it or earn it.

So to you it’s all about the money that makes it wrong? If she did the same thing but didn’t need the money it would be ok?

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 8:52 pm
amother Peony wrote:
It's not about causing harm. It's about using the baby in return for money or goods. Baby should get clothes without being used.

That sounds so simplistic though.

So if it's free for a charity it's okay?

And for a family photoshoot that's also okay?

Why is the line only drawn at money?

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 9:01 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
That sounds so simplistic though.

So if it's free for a charity it's okay?

And for a family photoshoot that's also okay?

Why is the line only drawn at money?

No, I don't think it's ok to exploit our children for charity. We don't get to use our children in return for any benefits. A photoshoot is a service we pay for just like any other service. We don't use our children as a means to earn money or benefits when paying for a photoshoot.

amother
Daffodil

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 9:04 pm
I think the exploiting reactions here are extreme.

I personally wouldn't have my kids model but I don't think it's wrong for others to do it unless it is harming the child. By harming I mean visibly harming - you can see they are feeling pressured, they are not enjoying it, you feel like all the attention on them being pretty isn't doing them good etc.

I don't think it's exploiting to make money or get clothes from having them model or having them do other age appropriate jobs, though it seems like modeling is not so lucrative regardless from others posts. What if the family was really struggling financially? Would you still think it's wrong to have the kids do things to help out for purchases they are benefitting from? I get it's not ideal and I hope no one needs to do that, but back in the day that was done and there are child labor laws for a reason. I think exploiting is properly used in a situation where child labor laws are being violated. I see no harm in children doing jobs such as modeling and not keeping the money.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 9:08 pm
I think this is much ado about nothing.

I don't think there is much exploitation of an infant being photographed or even anything other than a theoretical invasion of privacy. Unless there is something extremely unusual I don't think most people would recognize an infant in an ad - and even if they did, who cares?

On the other hand, it isn't a viable way to make a living or even use to obtain a wardrobe. It is time consuming - jobs are limited and the infant is going to age out quickly.

I do think it becomes exploitative when the child reaches the toddler stage because at that point they are participating in an activity that is not very enjoyable for them - or most toddlers wouldn't find it interesting nor would it be an enriching experience.

In order to actually have a career as a child model one needs an agent and it becomes time consuming on a whole other level.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries