Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Tell me everything I should know before buying condo Monsey
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 4:12 am
amother Birch wrote:
A condo in Monsey/spring valley are going from a million to 1.8 million

Not really true. Depends which. I do RE in monsey and many condors are under $1m

faigy34

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 6:27 am
the traffic is getting worse and worse with no way of solution,
not negative! just saying the fact

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 7:40 am
The cost of tuition. Mine went from 4,400 full price per kid to 9,000. (5 years ago)

Price of groceries

Price of anything.

Drs. Many are full and not accepting new patients. You don’t realize how many Drs you and your kids use.

I don’t live in monsey proper so can’t weigh in on that nor with a lot of people but I feel like it’s such an awesome change from BP. I find it to be a much more relaxed lifestyle.

Also the numbers people are quoting seem a little high. I think you can buy a high ranch in Airmont and live on your own with huge backyard for less than that.

Also regarding a/c. When I lived in Brooklyn I had bought a brand new very well built apartment and had issues with the system for a long time till they finally figured out what was wrong (just saying they used a high end company and high end equipment but they had made a mistake during install)

And here the central unit on one of my floors went - I bought a brand new top of the line system from the best guy here. 3 years later it’s not working right. Parts are under warranty but labor isn’t. So to find the leak will be minimum $950 etc. it’s possible I’m missing the point and all those developments that look so pretty are built insanely cheaply where everything including the a/c goes.

But I do have to say that the lifestyle here is completely different.

If you drive and you have a designated spot. Your life is a breeze because wherever you shop has a huge parking lot. In BP I never moved my car. Where would I put it when I got to a store. And where when I got home.

Also if I ever go back I freak out. The honking. The noise. The sheer amount of people and cars. The garbage. I do anything I can to avoid going. I keep it to MUST simchas only.

I guess be aware of what people said above. But for me it was a fantastic switch.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 9:59 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
Not really true. Depends which. I do RE in monsey and many condors are under $1m

Under a million is $900K. You literally can't find anything in Monsey for less then that. Even 4 bedroom flats in a development are going for over $900K. With zero property. Crazy.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 11:49 am
I just checked Airmont on Zillow there were a few at around 800. Then you don’t share walls with neighbors. You have plenty of parking. Large backyard. Why are people flocking to the condos? Is it because they are new? Because they don’t drive? Because they want company for themselves and their children? are house taxes too high? I don’t know.

Also regarding moving to monsey people have said that if they had government programs in Brooklyn, many of those weren’t available here.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:12 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I just checked Airmont on Zillow there were a few at around 800. Then you don’t share walls with neighbors. You have plenty of parking. Large backyard. Why are people flocking to the condos? Is it because they are new? Because they don’t drive? Because they want company for themselves and their children? are house taxes too high? I don’t know.

Also regarding moving to monsey people have said that if they had government programs in Brooklyn, many of those weren’t available here.

Most of these old houses have to be renovated. But the quality of life is not comparable

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:13 pm
esuss wrote:
People who live in Brooklyn with all the problems and have married children living in Monsey all tell me that Brooklyn is better than living in a Monsey development. Monsey rents are really not far behind Brooklyn prices.

But in square footage it can't be compared. In Brooklyn the central hallways are usually included in the square footage. In Monsey area not.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:42 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:

The taxes on these homes are a LOT.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:44 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:

Those are old houses that need renovations, often major like a new roof..., the taxes are tons, and they're generally out of area. Not everyone wants out of area.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 12:47 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
The taxes on these homes are a LOT.

Property taxes in the New York/NJ suburbs are much higher than those in New York City because single family residences and condos have very favorable property tax rate. This is because New York City wants to encourage home ownership and also because NYC has a very strong commercial tax base from businesses. The only way suburbs can fund is through property taxes.

Also I am not sure exactly how it works since I don't live in New York, but someone who lived in Monsey said that each county has to fund a certain amount of Medicaid expenses which drives up taxes in NY suburbs. Again New York City has a much larger commercial tax base for municipal expenses.

amother
Birch

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Clear wrote:
But in square footage it can't be compared. In Brooklyn the central hallways are usually included in the square footage. In Monsey area not.

The square footage includes the halls also it include the whole inside of the home

amother
Birch

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 2:02 pm
amother Seashell wrote:
Those are old houses that need renovations, often major like a new roof..., the taxes are tons, and they're generally out of area. Not everyone wants out of area.

Now they are all in area mostly! Yidden are living past the hospital

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, May 18 2023, 2:05 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Now they are all in area mostly! Yidden are living past the hospital

Right. But many people want Monsey proper for various different reasons. And it doesn't really come out cheaper after all expenses.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries