Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Glass tabletop for dining room table, yes or no?

chocolatecake

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:36 pm
I ordered a new dining room table and I want it to stay nice. The problem
Is that our dining room
Is the center of the house. The kids craft, do homework, games
And dump things
There.

I don’t want table pads because I find them an eye sore. I am considering getting a glass table top. Is that a waste to get cuz it’s
A ticking time bomb till it cracks or
Did yours last you years?

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 4:37 pm
It lasts years and decades. Looks amazing.

For a large dining room table, especially if there are leaves/extentions, 2 adjoining pieces are recommended.

Busybee5

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 5:04 pm
My dh sells made to measure glass/mirrors/windows (uk) and he often gets orders from people for them.

Course it lasts for years. You get toughened and a good thickness, polished edges obviously and your sorted for years.

BusyMama1

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:18 pm
I put on a separate tablecloth during the week for this reason

Flip Flops

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:20 pm
It looks amazing *when it was just sprayed*.
Come back five minutes later, and it's full of smudges. It always looks dirty.
I would not suggest glass if it's going to be the center of activity. Unless you put a tablecloth over it.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 23 2023, 7:49 pm
It's not dangerous and unless people are stomping or dropping things on it, it shouldn't crack. People have glass table tops without problems. Maybe check to see if tempered glass is possible - that is what must be used to shower doors.

One thing you do have to be careful of is liquid getting below the glass as that can damage the wood obviously

However if kids are literally dumping stuff all over the table, it is not going to look nice whatever the surface is because all people will see is the clutter that has accumulated. Why not train people to NOT using the dining table to dump stuff as soon as you get it so they don't learn bad habits.

Mama!

Post Wed, May 24 2023, 8:12 am
Scratched wood is uglier than a cleanable glass

bigbird

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:07 am
Busybee5 wrote:
My dh sells made to measure glass/mirrors/windows (uk) and he often gets orders from people for them.

Course it lasts for years. You get toughened and a good thickness, polished edges obviously and your sorted for years.

Hi how could I get his details please? I’m in the UK looking for a glass tabletop.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 7:36 am
I didn’t want to spend on the glass. It’s very expensive. Although I would love the look…
my table is not used for everyday but I still wanted to protect the new wood.
Instead I bought a thick padded, faux leather tablecloth. Not cheap but much less than glass.

https://www.thecloseoutconnect.....2.htm

meme6

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:25 am
I hate a glass tabletop besides I know many people that had them break and crack but you see everything on the floor through it. The frosted glass would take that away but it’s not as nice I would go for a table cloth on a wood table with pads

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 8:38 am
meme6 wrote:
I hate a glass tabletop besides I know many people that had them break and crack but you see everything on the floor through it. The frosted glass would take that away but it’s not as nice I would go for a table cloth on a wood table with pads

Op is not asking about a glass tabletop. She’s asking about a glass top covering for her wooden table.

gande

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:15 am
I had one it did eventually get scratched with all the use but it is easier and cheaper to replace than a table. It doesn’t look bad at all.

meme6

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 9:36 am
meme6 wrote:

Didn’t realize you were talking about the glass to cover a wood table. They are really nice and easy to clean
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics