Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need to bring own food

jba

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 8:35 am
DH and I are going on a family trip. The location was chosen b/c most of the non-immediate family is not relisgious/ not kosher. My MIL is shipping kosher food stapes for our immediate family who is kosher and we are hoping to buy basics (pasta, fruit ets.). I'd like to also bring along portable easy snacks for DH, myself and our kids (and enough to share!). Any ideas? I have granola bars and fruit leather. The other issue is weight for the airplanes.

sbs

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:08 am
bags of snacks, popcorn, pretzels, chips, cookies
when I flew with kids I cooked macaroni, fish sticks, hard boiled eggs, and took them with me on the plane in bags cuz it was a long trip and I didn't think airline meals would work for them.

rvbubby

Post Mon, Jul 07 2008, 11:52 pm
Where are you going? Most places in the US have a huge selection of kosher food. Meat or chalav yisroel products are the only problem we found. Don't shlep more on the plane than you really need. Wherever you are going, plan on going to a grocery store and pick up most of the things you'd need. We didn't have problems finding what we wanted except in South Dakota and that was only cottage cheese.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:02 am
baby carrots
crackers
tuna-they make them now vaccum packed in bags so they won't weigh too much
peanut butter
nuts
any kind of snacks
cereal
cookies
pretzlels

Pizza

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:23 am
Wherever you are going you will be able to find peanut butter and jelly, as well as beans and rice. If you can arrange a hot plate and bring a pot, you can plan evening meals like parve chili or lentil stew, maybe toss in some tofu - something filling, and its 'real food' so you dont feel like youre camping out the whole time. Many large supermarkets carry empire chickens, which you can even microwave if you have no other cooking facility.
You will still have big salads and tuna sandwiches, etc
Good luck, and kol hakavod for making family a priority

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 5:45 am
Can we ask where you are going? One of us might know a place you can go to once you are there instead of taking food with you.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 8:41 am
Grilled chicken cutlets
noodle kugel
Fruit cups
cucumber sticks
backs of baby carrots
Apples, peaches, plums
Danishes, cookies

greenfire

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 9:50 am
string cheese
vacuum packed cold cuts

they don't spoil quick ...

have FUN !!!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 11:04 am
If you have a hot plate and or a crock pot, you are set, even if you can't get CY milk or kosher meat. Legumes are kosher all over, and a good bean dish is hearty, filling, and easy to make. Take a pan and a pot, and you are set. Things that are kosher all over and can feed you nicely:
Rice
Kasha
Quinoa
Bulgur (tabbouleh)
Legumes
Potatoes
Pasta
Eggs
Tuna/patties
Salmon
sardines
Vegetables/salad
Olives
Pickles
Fruit
Canned pineapple
Bread
Bagles
Crackers
Peanut Butter
Jelly

jba

Post Tue, Jul 08 2008, 12:55 pm
Oregon. No where near any Jewish city/town. We checked it all out. My MIL is great at these things, she is in charge of the meal planning. I want to bring snacks etc. for my Dh and kids. All picky eaters. The other issue is I don't know who has a car and when. We are kind of being deposited in this vacation resort 30 min drive from the closest town (don't ask how these locations get picked) and I don't know if I will be able to get to a store for my stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics