Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Teen doesnt want to hear of taking meds
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:39 pm
My teen had an educational evaluation last year to get ready for high school so that we would know what additional help DC could get in school.
We were told that there may be a chance of ADD. I informed my child about this and that we would probably have to go to a special doctor to help figure out if or what meds DC would need to help DC concentrate better and for other things.
This child refuses to even think about medication. This child has a major issue with memory and with organization and with forgetting things.
I really want to help this child so that they can do better in life and school.
Any ideas? This kids refuses. And no, I can not force a teen to take pills.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:42 pm
There are valid reasons not to take meds. Does the teenager care about their success in school? If so, there are strategies they could learn, perhaps a coach to work with.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:43 pm
Sometimes our hands are tied and we have to wait for the child to make the first move. My DD needed to start high school and see how overwhelmed she was before she came and asked to get meds. Your dd might need to learn the hard way like mine did.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 4:55 pm
My parents didn't give me a choice. It was torture. The meds can have serious negative effects.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:01 pm
Mess are not a quick fix. It should never be step one, there's other tools and stuff to try before meds

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:03 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
There are valid reasons not to take meds. Does the teenager care about their success in school? If so, there are strategies they could learn, perhaps a coach to work with.

100% I agree that there are valid reasons.
And in terms if school, she is getting lots of help. Its in the non school areas of her life where memory or organization, are not happening the aays they should

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:04 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Sometimes our hands are tied and we have to wait for the child to make the first move. My DD needed to start high school and see how overwhelmed she was before she came and asked to get meds. Your dd might need to learn the hard way like mine did.

Thankfully my child is almost finished with 9th grade and getting all the help she needs in school. It the rest of her world that she needs help.

paperflowers

After the educational evaluation did your child receive a 504 or IEP? The supports listed there would be a good place to start.

amother
OP

amother Oak wrote:
My parents didn't give me a choice. It was torture. The meds can have serious negative effects.

Such as?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:05 pm
My DS18, finally actually begged for meds. He has executive functioning issues, and mild ASD.

If anything, he probably wishes he'd done it sooner and tbh, so do I. (It wasn't really on our radar for different reasons, and became more apparent as he got older and needed to be more self sufficient and responsible in school and life.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:05 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Mess are not a quick fix. It should never be step one, there's other tools and stuff to try before meds

Such as? We were told to think about medication.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:09 pm
Do you know anyone he looks up to with an add/adhd diagnosis who took medicine for high school? It might encourage him if he sees someone who the medicine helped. You can also tell him that if he doesn't like the side effects he can try a different medicine. I was able to get my son to take medicine because his sister does and it helps her.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Such as? We were told to think about medication.

Adhd coaching, excerisze, DBT, can all help regulate and teach skills to help better cope.

Medication can cause weight gain after they go off of it, during medication it suppresses hunger so that can lead to binge eating and unhealthy eatings habits, there's also anxiety and depression which are huge side affects, as well as killing all energy and motivation and personality.

I had all of these side affects, and I've spoken to many others who had them as well. I've worked a lot on memory and executive functioning by myself and in therapy.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 01 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Oak wrote:

Could you tell me about side effects? I am dealing with this now, and possibly about to start my child on meds for ADD (inattentive) and/or anxiety. So I’d appreciate whatever info you can share. Ty

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 1:23 am
paperflowers wrote:
After the educational evaluation did your child receive a 504 or IEP? The supports listed there would be a good place to start.

I am not in the states. I have no idea what those are.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 1:25 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
Do you know anyone he looks up to with an add/adhd diagnosis who took medicine for high school? It might encourage him if he sees someone who the medicine helped. You can also tell him that if he doesn't like the side effects he can try a different medicine. I was able to get my son to take medicine because his sister does and it helps her.

I dont know anyone personally, kid or adult. And the child is a girl.

Dr.Irina

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 1:31 am
Nutritional changes, acupuncture, homeopathy and supplements could be helpful. NAET - allergy elimination- could be helpful. I have seen many clients getting better after sensitivity to sugar, gluten, mold has been removed.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 1:55 am
Dr.Irina wrote:
Nutritional changes, acupuncture, homeopathy and supplements could be helpful. NAET - allergy elimination- could be helpful. I have seen many clients getting better after sensitivity to sugar, gluten, mold has been removed.

Can you explain how NAET works?
Thanks

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 5:37 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Could you tell me about side effects? I am dealing with this now, and possibly about to start my child on meds for ADD (inattentive) and/or anxiety. So I’d appreciate whatever info you can share. Ty

Worsened anxiety, restlessness, appetite changes, intrusive thoughts, and depersonalization.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Jun 02 2023, 6:34 am
amother Oak wrote:

That's why there is usually trial and error before finding the right medication.

I'm sorry your parents weren't attuned to your needs.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics