Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Can I make tomato soup with canned diced tomatoes?

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:49 pm
I wanted to make tomato soup for supper tonight & instead of looking for a recipe before I went shopping, I assumed a can of diced tomatoes will be good. There are no recipes on here that call for diced canned tomatoes.

Any help?

Beauticianista

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:53 pm
I have a very simple tomato soup recipe, but I don't have it with me so I can only give you the basics: first brown a T. flour with some oil, and let it brown, then add some tomato sauce (and I believe water as well) sugar... I think you have to let it cook a few minutes, or just let it boil, and then add uncooked rice....that's basically the recipe. If you need it, I can get you the exact recipe.

cookielady

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:53 pm
If the recipe called for canned tomatoes, just puree it when its done cooking. I use canned diced tomatoes for any type of canned tomatoe products a recipe calls for.

DoctorMom

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 1:54 pm
I made up my own recipe, it's more of a vegetable soup, but I use canned tomatoes & I think it's pretty good. I chop up carrots, zuccinis, and onions and boil them till softish. then I add the canned tomatoes to the water and boil a little more. then add some pasta (like orzo). (not too much, becuase the pasta soaks up all the juice). hope this helps!

bubby

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 2:16 pm
Ask your Mom...she knows how!! LOL Rolling Eyes

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 2:43 pm
There are recipes online. Just do a quick search.

Pizza

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 3:19 pm
I do all the time

Tapuzi

Post Wed, Jul 09 2008, 3:39 pm
Sure, sautee a couple onions til lightly browned, add the tomatoes, cook them together for a little while, add sugar or sweetner and salt and pepper to taste and puree with handblender or in blender. Serve with some cooked rice in it. I like these very simple flavors together.

shopaholic

Post Thu, Jul 10 2008, 9:56 am
Thanks, I got a recipe from my mom who then pointed out that tomatoes may have been what made my baby scream for 2 hrs the other night so we're holding off on tomato soup for a few months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics