Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
High paying jobs with no degrees
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:40 pm
I’m a graphic designer and make close to 100k
My husband is in real estate and has unlimited potential (currently makes about about 150k)
College degrees are expensive and meaningless these days. When college became an endgame instead of a means to an end, the whole system turned on its head

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:41 pm
amother Jean wrote:
I’m a graphic designer and make close to 100k
My husband is in real estate and has unlimited potential (currently makes about about 150k)
College degrees are expensive and meaningless these days. When college became an endgame instead of a means to an end, the whole system turned on its head

Not every graphic designer makes a lot of money. It's mazel, talent and hustle.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Tan wrote:

Some make a lot more than that. I know 3 graphic designers earning between 300-500k

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:46 pm
I'll give an example.
I know a girl who was a preschool teacher assistant and next year because a preschool coteacher.
Moved to lkwd and gets over$30 per hour to be a permanent sub in a preschool

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:46 pm
amother Tan wrote:

Well thank you. I do have Mazel talent and hustle. I own my own business and work from home and I work very very hard. Anyone who wants to work hard can start their own business, you don’t need talent, but you do need grit

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:48 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
That’s stupid

I actually wiped my eyes to make sure I was reading this correctly.
Nurses can get a ton of satisfaction for doing a very important job. You cannot knock that.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:53 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Some make a lot more than that. I know 3 graphic designers earning between 300-500k

May I ask if they had anyone in the field who help them get started? Or was no networking involved? Having introductions can make all the difference in the world.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:54 pm
amother Clover wrote:
You sound jealous. This comment is disgusting

I didn’t think her comment is disgusting. I live in lakewood. I don’t think she meant it derogatorily. a lot of things in lakewood run differently than the outside world. she isn’t wrong. there’s the salaries that are mentioned. theres rush hour traffic at 2:30-3:30 bec playgroups end then. there is signup for playgroup on motzei sukkos, the incredible abundance of gemachs for anything and everything. I can go on and on. it’s not necessarily bad it’s just different. things are different in Lakewood than in the midwest out of town community where I grew up. nothing wrong with that.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
May I ask if they had anyone in the field who help them get started? Or was no networking involved? Having introductions can make all the difference in the world.

No, all 3 of them started from scratch. It took a lot of years, disappointments, frustration, tears, annoyances, and anything else you can think of, but they all got there on their own. They also work like crazy these days and barely have time to relax because of their demanding clients, but this thread only asked about the kind of jobs people hold and what they are earning. It didnt ask what goes into earning so nicely, which I mentioned above. It's definitely not all fun and games

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:07 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
That’s stupid

Are you joking?? I chose a career 25 years ago that perhaps makes me earn less (though I have lucrative benefit package) that office workers yet is important and meaningful. I want the work that I do to make a difference more than pushing papers. I want my children to knew that in the time that I wasn’t with them I was making an impact; I wasn’t leaving them to be a ‘girl Friday’ at the end of 120 I want Gd to be proud of how I chose to use the talents he gave me and to tell me that I made a difference in the world and to His people. How many office workers can say that? If you only see dollar signs in your job than I’m Certain you chose the wrong one

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Tan wrote:
What?! Why are Lakewood people so defensive?

Maybe because they’re being insulted.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
How are principals and office managers making similar salaries? That doesnt really make sense.

I was thinking like a branch manager or an office manager that oversees a large office with multiple departments (25-50 employees)

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:43 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Why in the world would the girl go to nursing school. She can make more as a secretary/office manager/file clerk in any Lakewood job than anywhere in America with an actual degree.

Actually as an RN she can make 85k starting in NJ. In 2-3 yrs over six figures. It's a great career with so many options, cheap schooling and great job security. If she likes she can go on to become an NP where pay is anywhere from 125 to 250 (depending on field)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Why in the world would the girl go to nursing school. She can make more as a secretary/office manager/file clerk in any Lakewood job than anywhere in America with an actual degree.

For a lot of women, these jobs just don't give them the mental stimulus they need. It's one thing to do it short term, but I would personally go crazy if I was a file clerk for more than a couple of days.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:48 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
I didn’t think her comment is disgusting. I live in lakewood. I don’t think she meant it derogatorily. a lot of things in lakewood run differently than the outside world. she isn’t wrong. there’s the salaries that are mentioned. theres rush hour traffic at 2:30-3:30 bec playgroups end then. there is signup for playgroup on motzei sukkos, the incredible abundance of gemachs for anything and everything. I can go on and on. it’s not necessarily bad it’s just different. things are different in Lakewood than in the midwest out of town community where I grew up. nothing wrong with that.

Thank you.
I didn't think I had to explain myself to that imamother as what I said is completely true, but I appreciate your post.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:54 pm
Nurses earn more than these “office work” salaries that I’m seeing in Lakewood. Usually earning six figures in ny area and can go up. Also more flexibility you won’t be stuck in the same job for yours you can switch

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:04 pm
I know someone who has a business with a location in Monsey and Lakewood. She told me that she can't find any workers in Lakewood for the price she pays in Monsey and that they all want to be super part time.
The reality is Lakewood got very fancy and very expensive. It's not the Lakewood of yesteryear.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:34 pm
Graphic designer
Gown rental (she designs her own gowns)
Interior designer/decorator
Newborn photographer
Product photographer
Marketing business
Real estate broker

These are the people I know who are making it big. They have a talent and start working. With mazel plus work that people are happy with, they get themselves a good "name" and charge accordingly.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:45 pm
boysrus wrote:
I'm so happy to hear that. My friend has been bemoaning to me how her young couple cant find anything under 1800 for a one bedroom. Maybe they are looking in the wrong neighborhood. Where can such rentals be found? Thanks
Then they're looking to live right near BMG. Yeshiva area was always more expensive.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 9:47 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Well thank you. I do have Mazel talent and hustle. I own my own business and work from home and I work very very hard. Anyone who wants to work hard can start their own business, you don’t need talent, but you do need grit
Not everyone is designed to hustle and when I tried, I messed up my mental health. So being able to hustle is also a Bracha.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics