Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Tics

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 6:06 pm
So I have funny tics. Mostly under control but when I get really tired I blink a lot, do a swallowing thing frequently. When I was younger I used to move my mouth/jaw in a way that felt satisfying.

I noticed my ds has them. He will blink his eyes and move his mouth in a funny way in middle of as sentence or before a sentence. He twitches his nose too. At night he makes noises until he falls asleep.

He’s an adorable kid, very smart, very energetic, very sociable. Is this something that needs to be addressed and if yes how would it be addressed? How can it be resolved anyway?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 6:39 pm
Tics are genetic so it’s normal for him to have some if you have them. You can have him tested for pandas but if there are no behavioral or mental health changes and his tics aren’t bothering him I don’t know if you want to go down that road.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:48 pm
Tics can have a genetic component, but they are actually usually epigenetic, meaning a genetic vulnerability combined with an environmental trigger. Without knowing what your particular triggers are, some general things to try are magnesium, methylated b vitamins, NAC, gaba, l theanine, cbd.
If ibuprofen helps, inflammation is a piece. If a histamine blocker like benadryl helps, histamine is a piece. If robitussin helps, excess glutamate is part of the cause.

I've also heard of gluten and dairy sensitivity or intolerances causing tics. Also food and environmental allergies.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:50 pm
DH & I don’t have tics. One DS does he is also ADD from what we understand it is part of the ADD.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 8:38 am
My real question is, are tics problematic if they are not affecting us at all? I mean obviously I wish I didn’t have them but I’m doing fine socially etc and my Dc is as well

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 7:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
My real question is, are tics problematic if they are not affecting us at all? I mean obviously I wish I didn’t have them but I’m doing fine socially etc and my Dc is as well

I’m not sure what you mean by problematic but if they aren’t affecting his life in a negative way then then I don’t see why it would be an issue.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 7:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Tics are a symptom of something awry in the body, specifically the nervous system. I personally would want to address that, even if the tics per se are not debilitating. I also personally find them very very hard to watch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children