Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:17 am
Another super easy cake - can also be made as a round or a loaf

Excerpt From: Yossy Arefi - Snacking Cake

“There is a lot to love about this classic combination. Deep chocolate cake is infused with a generous amount of smooth, salty peanut butter (something like Skippy is ideal here), then covered with a thin layer of peanut butter glaze. Top the whole thing with some chopped roasted peanuts, and don’t forget to pour yourself a glass of milk. If you really want to gild the lily, fold ½ cup (85g) of peanut butter chips into the batter just before pouring it into the pan.

1 cup (200g) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup (125g) smooth peanut butter
½ cup (120ml) neutral oil, like canola or grapeseed
½ cup (120ml) whole milk - for pareve sub almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup (45g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup (128g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup (120ml) hot coffee - you can use water but coffee really enhances the chocolate flavors

Peanut Butter Glaze

1 cup (100g) confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 to 2 tablespoons hot water
½ cup (55g) chopped roasted and salted peanuts
Flaky salt, to finish (optional)

1. Position a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter or coat an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with a strip of parchment paper that hangs over two of the edges.

2. MAKE THE CAKE: In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar and eggs until pale and foamy, about 1 minute. Add the peanut butter, oil, milk, vanilla, and kosher salt. Whisk the mixture until smooth and emulsified. Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.

3. Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda and whisk until well-combined and smooth. Lastly, add the coffee and stir until well-combined and smooth.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, tap the pan gently on the counter to release any air bubbles, and smooth the top of the batter with an offset spatula.

5. Bake the cake until puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Set the cake on a rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Then use the parchment paper to lift the cake out of the pan and set it on the rack to cool completely.

6. MAKE THE GLAZE: In a bowl, whisk the confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, vanilla, kosher salt, and 1 tablespoon hot water until smooth. If the glaze is very thick, add more water, a few drops at a time, until it is a smooth and pourable consistency.

7. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and sprinkle with chopped peanuts and a few sprinkles of flaky salt (if using). Let the glaze set for about 20 minutes before slicing the cake. (Store the cake, well-covered, at room temperature for up to three days.)

Use Another Pan

LOAF: Bake in a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan until puffed and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 55 to 65 minutes. You’ll need a half batch of glaze to coat the cake in a thin layer.

ROUND: Bake in a 9-inch round pan until puffed and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.

BUNDT - Chayalle who posted on this thread said she made it in a Bundt pan successfully. Scroll down to read her experience if you want to do a Bundt cake.

Dress It Up

Top slices of cake with Cocoa Whip (this page) and mini peanut butter cups. Yeah, that’s right, I said to top a cake with peanut butter cups.”

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Jun 23 2023, 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 12:14 pm
Sounds yum. Would this work in a bundt?

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 1:22 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Sounds yum. Would this work in a bundt?

I don't think so because all of the recipes in the cookbook have variations for different pans in the bottom and this one doesn't have a Bundt one.

If you wanted to experiment this is the instructions for the Bundt version of the Coconut Lime Cake which I posted last week. But as I wrote, I don't know if it would work because the author didn't have a Bundt version like she did for many of the other cakes in the cookbook

WARNING = THIS IS NOT FROM THIS RECIPE BUT FROM ANOTHER RECIPE SO I DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL WORK

BUNDT: Double the ingredients for the cake and bake in a prepared 15-cup Bundt pan until puffed and golden, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a rack to cool completely. Double the ingredients for the glaze, too.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:29 am
Thank you so much Amarante (and for always posting great recipes). I think I will try it in a bundt, and will report back BN.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:32 am
Chayalle wrote:
Thank you so much Amarante (and for always posting great recipes). I think I will try it in a bundt, and will report back BN.

That would be great.

If it doesn't work, you can salvage it by making a Trifle.

I once had a Bundt cake fall apart and I had promised dessert so I made a Trifle and I think people liked it more than if I had just brought a cake LOL

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:24 pm
Update: I doubled the recipe, but when I was pouring the batter into my (greased) metal bundt pan, I realized it was too much batter. So I pulled out a smaller bundt that I have - it's a silicone bundt - sprayed it with oil spray, and put the rest of the batter - around 1/3 - into that.

Both cakes came out beautiful and popped neatly out of the bundt. I made the glaze without doubling the recipe, and it was enough for both.

I'm giving the smaller bundt to my sister for Shabbos, and we will IYH enjoy the other one. I think next time, I will make 1 1/2 times the recipe, which will be the perfect bundt size.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 1:31 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Update: I doubled the recipe, but when I was pouring the batter into my (greased) metal bundt pan, I realized it was too much batter. So I pulled out a smaller bundt that I have - it's a silicone bundt - sprayed it with oil spray, and put the rest of the batter - around 1/3 - into that.

Both cakes came out beautiful and popped neatly out of the bundt. I made the glaze without doubling the recipe, and it was enough for both.

I'm giving the smaller bundt to my sister for Shabbos, and we will IYH enjoy the other one. I think next time, I will make 1 1/2 times the recipe, which will be the perfect bundt size.

Good to know - hopefully it tastes good as well.

I am going to amend the original recipe
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins