Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough on a schedule?

corolla

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:16 am
For all you sourdough experts out there:
If I work 9-2, is it possible to fit baking it around my schedule? When would I need to start, stretch and fold, etc?

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:30 am
Sure you can! Feed your starter when you get home, from work, giving it more than enough time to double.
make your dough before you go to bed. Leave it out all night, then you you do one pre shape in the morning and shape it 20 minutes later. At that point, you can either score and bake, or refrigerate until you get home and score and bake it then.

corolla

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:34 am
Stars wrote:
Sure you can! Feed your starter when you get home, from work, giving it more than enough time to double.
make your dough before you go to bed. Leave it out all night, then you you do one pre shape in the morning and shape it 20 minutes later. At that point, you can either score and bake, or refrigerate until you get home and score and bake it then.

Thanks! I did do some sourdough baking once upon a time and want to get back into it.
Is it ok to bake it straight from the fridge?

Also, I know lots of recipes say to use a dutch oven, but I only have one. If I want to make a few for Shabbos, is it possible to just use a baking sheet? With water at the bottom of the oven, right?

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:35 am
corolla wrote:
Thanks! I did do some sourdough baking once upon a time and want to get back into it.
Is it ok to bake it straight from the fridge?

Also, I know lots of recipes say to use a dutch oven, but I only have one. If I want to make a few for Shabbos, is it possible to just use a baking sheet? With water at the bottom of the oven, right?

Yes, baking it straight from the fridge is fine. Score right before baking.
If you’re making regular large loaves I do recommend baking them all in a Dutch oven. You can do one after the other. You can also try a baking sheet with water underneath and see how it goes for you.

Sb1234

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:38 am
I feed my starter Wednesday night. And then again Thursday morning. Then I leave it and go to work. At around 2/3 I put up the dough with the bubbly starter. Let it rise and do stretch and folds in the afternoon. Shape and put in the fridge overnight. Then I bake Friday right before Shabbos. This schedule works perfectly for me and I leave my starter in the fridge the rest of the week.

Java

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:39 am
This sounds like an extra child

corolla

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:44 am
Java wrote:

Haha! I think it is. Or like a pet Smile

corolla

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:45 am
Sb1234 wrote:
I feed my starter Wednesday night. And then again Thursday morning. Then I leave it and go to work. At around 2/3 I put up the dough with the bubbly starter. Let it rise and do stretch and folds in the afternoon. Shape and put in the fridge overnight. Then I bake Friday right before Shabbos. This schedule works perfectly for me and I leave my starter in the fridge the rest of the week.

Thanks! I think I'll start the starter on Sunday, so I'll keep ya'll updated.

JessicaR

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:58 am
I have been doing sourdough for a couple of years and I work.
Look into the three day fridge fermenting method. Solves many issues for me time wise plus its healthier cuz its slow ferment.

anonymrs

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:06 pm
I do it on a baking sheet all the time. It comes out great! Just don't use a disposable pan because that doesn't bake so well.

corolla

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:21 pm
anonymrs wrote:
I do it on a baking sheet all the time. It comes out great! Just don't use a disposable pan because that doesn't bake so well.

Do you do put a pan of water in as well?

anonymrs

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:41 pm
corolla wrote:
Do you do put a pan of water in as well?

never

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 3:19 pm
Java wrote:

Really not. More like an enjoyable hobby that gives you delicious results to eat after Laugh

shanie5

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 5:09 pm
I work full time and bake sourdough. I use a simple method I found online. Starter is 'old' (not fed beforehand), mix, let sit 12-24 hours, shape, rest, bake. No stretch and folds. I feed my starter after mixing my dough so I have for the next time I bake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads