Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What book level? Going into Grade 3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 3:04 pm
My daughter reads very slow.vwas rethought phonics in second grade. She was tested at the end of the school year. I was told she needs to reads on a level j and k level. And read books a few time to improve fluency She keeps saying how she hates the books on that level? I need more book suggestion. I also hoping her reading will improve over the summer. So far we are reading 1 j or k level book a day. How will I know if she needs to read the next level books, level m? Any books on level j,k that are less reader like than the guided reading books?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 3:38 pm
What books can she read fairly easily? There are two types of books: books that are very carefully written, limited vocabulary, reinforcing certain patterns, sounds, etc. And books that just tell the story, using age-appropriate vocabulary but much more free-range.
The thing is, a weak reader is often stuck with boring material. But, there are simple books that tell stories (David Adler has some series in Menucha), and - I'm thinking of many, many picture books - that, yes, are picture books but tell great stories and aren't too hard to read.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 4:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What books can she read fairly easily? There are two types of books: books that are very carefully written, limited vocabulary, reinforcing certain patterns, sounds, etc...

I will look out today. Even the books she's reading now she sometimes pauses between simple words. unless she has the story memorized. But I am seeing some improvement since we started.

dena613

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I will look out today. Even the books she's reading now she sometimes pauses between simple words. unless she has the story memorized. But I am seeing some improvement since we started.

Then she's not ready for next level.

I agree with pinkfridge Abt the types of books.

I'm looking online for level j&k, and this is some of what I see, possibly higher interest

J
Henry and mudge
The snowy day
Mouse soup
Little bear
There's an alligator under my bed
Young Cam Jansen
Mr putter and tabby
Owl at home
The doorbell rang

dena613

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 4:32 pm
K
Caps for sale
If you give a mouse a cookie
Frog and toad series
Owen
Nate the great
Clack clack moo series
Chester's way
Bread and jam for Frances, Arthur's funny money
I can read 2 flat stanleys

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 4:51 pm
dena613 wrote:
Then she's not ready for next level.

I agree with pinkfridge Abt the types of books.

I'm looking online for level j&k, and this is some of what I see, possibly higher interest

J
Henry and mudge
The snowy day
Mouse soup
Little bear
There's an alligator under my bed
Young Cam Jansen
Mr putter and tabby
Owl at home
The doorbell rang

These should be satisfying on a story level.

Helenk

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:21 pm
As a special educator with years of reading instruction, the most important factors are interest and level of success felt when reading the books, especially for building fluency

I second the Frog and Toad series (Frog and Toad all year is my personal favorite)

Frank Asch books with the Moonbear character are officially higher but kids usually do well at that level due to the simple word structure (and high interest). I would rate them about a J-K

Young Cam Jansen are officially level J but I found them harder than that for my students. Try one but don’t be surprised if it turns out too difficult. They’re great books, though.

Arthur/Frances series by Lillian Hoban are great, on higher end of K

Zack’s Alligator and Zack’s Alligator Goes to school

Fancy Nancy series

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 6:38 pm
Helenk wrote:
As a special educator with years of reading instruction, the most important factors are interest and level of success felt when reading the books, especially for building fluency

I second the Frog and Toad series (Frog and Toad all year is my personal favorite)

What about Robert Munsch? (And I LOVE the Frog and Toad story Cookies.)

Helenk

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Not familiar with Robert Munsch but you got me curious!

And - Cookies! Love that story. I’m always telling people about it. Will power LOL

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 8:54 pm
Helenk wrote:
Not familiar with Robert Munsch but you got me curious!

And - Cookies! Love that story. I’m always telling people about it. Will power LOL

Stephanie's Ponytail is a classic. Many more.

ittsamother

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

"We must stop eating!" cried Toad as he ate another. LOL

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 9:18 pm
ittsamother wrote:
"We must stop eating!" cried Toad as he ate another. LOL

I would totally wallpaper a wall of my kitchen in the pages of that story.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics