Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age did colors “click”?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 9:45 am
Dc is 2 and 1/2 and very very bright. We’ve been trying to teach colors and it’s just not clicking. Wondering at what point to be concerned.

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 9:47 am
My daughter started to learn at 18 months probably but every child is different
Have you had her vision checked? Possible she's colorblind?

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 9:49 am
My 2nd child was like that. He finally could tell the difference around 2.5 if I remember correctly. He is not fully colorblind but we suspect he doesn't see colors as vibrantly. He is 5 and still gets colors mixed up.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 10:03 am
Mine is 3 and a few months and is still not good with colors. I'm not in a rush to rule in or out color blindness since they can definitely see that colors are different they just can't label them and I'm not pushing learning the colors either I think it will come eventually. One of my older kids seemed very behind in learning in 2 and 3 year old playgroup so I held them back and then they just picked up on everything seemingly overnight and are at the top of their class now.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 10:08 am
Colors is an abstract concept. I wouldn't worry before 3. Are other skills behind? I worry more about fine motor skills, basic language and social/emotional development.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 10:13 am
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Colors is an abstract concept. I wouldn't worry before 3. Are other skills behind? I worry more about fine motor skills, basic language and social/emotional development.

Other skills are very good imo. But with colors it’s just not clicking and I was also worried about color blindness. Like if he sees a car that’s the same make/model but totally different color as someone he knows, he’ll yell that it’s so and so’s car which makes me think he’s not seeing in color…

How would I test that? What should my next step be?

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 10:27 am
My 2.5 is very smart and yet to her everything is still yellow. I’m not worried though.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 10:54 am
I don't try to teach colors. They come up naturally in conversation like everything else. My 2 year old has known his for many months and his older, more delayed sibling learned them more or less while he was learning them.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:21 am
My very smart daughter caught onto every concept amazingly quick, even shapes and abcs, but she couldn’t get colors.
I was becoming quite worried as it was taking a long time. At some point it clicked.
It was worrying because colors feels like an easy concept to grasp, but I guess it isn’t.

She’ll get there eventually, no worries.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:53 am
That's how we realised my son was color blind, he was smart and knew everything but was always mixing up colors. In fact when we took him to test the optician said he is too young because he needs to know his numbers for the test, he was surprised that he knew how to read all numbers and letters

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:59 am
Seit here. This is how I taught color.

I made a basket of toys, half red and half assorted colors.

I took toy out one at a time and said "red"
And put it in the red pile.

I took another toy out and said "not red"
And put it in the Not Red pile.

Then the child would sort the toys into red and not red.

I taught one color at a time starting with easy colors like black white red yellow and blue.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 12:09 pm
When they started going out to playgroup/school. Somehow the teachers have a way of teaching it that I can't. I always try so hard and talk to them about colors from when they're really little.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 12:32 pm
At 2.8- about 4 months after they learned it in school. He's 2.10 now and still mixes up. I think it took such a long time to 'click' that he needs to re-learn the names of the colors themselves.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 12:40 pm
My 5yo was nearly 3 before she seemed to even understand the concept of colors (ie: matching, not even naming...maybe naming one color). She could match by size or shape and remember names of colors, but assigned them randomly. (eg: the tree is blue, the grass is yellow, the sky is green)
By then I was thinking she doesn't see colors properly. (dh is colorblind) but by the time she was about 3.5 she knew all colors just fine. could still be some colorblindess, I suppose, but it's definitely not apparent.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 12:46 pm
FWIR, all of my children starting grasping colors close to their 3rd birthday--that included the very bright ones and the one with learning difficulties.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 12:53 pm
Another idea.

Teach using brightly colored jelly beans.

Child gets the candy if he names the color correctly.

Dev80

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 1:38 pm
My 3 year old is still figuring it out. She knows some but then asks us others. But she's very curious like she'll hold out a magnatile or a toy and ask what color it is. I also don't actively teach at home so it's what she gets from playgroup and just learning from her surroundings

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 2:21 pm
Story Time

(My DS has a lazy eye, and so since the age of 1 is wearing glasses and eye patches.)

At a well-visit at the age of 4, the Pediatrician showed him a booklet with different patterns and colours and my DS couldn't recognize anything.
The Dr. thought DS was having a rough day, and made him come back a month later.
Second time around, we had the same result.

So, my Dr. diagnosed DS with colour blindness.

At our yealy check-up by the Pediatric Opthomologist, I meantioned DS new diagnosis of colour blindness.
Thr Opthomolgist picked up the phone, found my Pediatrician. Called him and yelled at him for diagnosing a boy at age of 4 with colour blindness. Boys aren't to be diagnosed before the age of 6!

Fast forward a few years later....
My son's favorite colour is turquoise!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 4:02 pm
Can she sort them even if she can't name?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 4:54 pm
My son learnt his colors at 5. We were baffled! It was a slow process!
Smart boy! Knew parsha by heart but couldn't figure out colors. He wasn't diagnosed with any learning disabilities but, although he reads beautifully now with tutoring, he had a hard time learning that as well. Both in hebrew and english .
He has no issues with chumash or math but I see he has a hard time with Word recollection.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics