Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to not let the summer pass without accomplishing anythin

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:08 pm
I’m off in the summer. I want to organize my entire house. I am so not motivated to start. How can I motivate myself? I don’t want to let the summer pass without using it well!

realtalk

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:11 pm
Find a spring cleaning list online and pick 1 thing off it a day

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:12 pm
realtalk wrote:
Find a spring cleaning list online and pick 1 thing off it a day

That would be great. Any ideas where to find such a list?

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:12 pm
Same! I have a master list of things I'd like to get done, then try to look at it weekly and daily to make more specific lists. I've made a little progress but def could use some motivation! I like to listen to the A Slob Comes Clean podcasts for motivation while I clean and declutter. I recommend her books too. They're on hoopla in audio form if your library has it.

sotired3

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:14 pm
Make a schedule with smaller, doable goals. “Organize my whole house” is too big and general. Pick one room to work on and break it down into smaller jobs, and only move onto the next room when you’re finished. Recognize that when you’re organizing it looks worse before it gets better, so don’t get overwhelmed when it looks like a mess. In each room DECLUTTER before you organize. I can’t emphasize enough how much of a difference that will me in your house. If you’re buying bins or containers, measure before you buy to make sure the bin fits your space. Hatzlacha!

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:14 pm
I've struggled with this. This year I started two lists.
One is on my phone and I jot down things I want to get done as they occur to me, big and small. And delete when done.

The other list is helping me more. I write down (in a cute notebook lol) what I accomplish each day. It's easy to disregard the million and one things we do for our families, but it's so strengthening to see it written down. Gave extra TLC to the kid who needed it? Threw in three loads of laundry before lunch? Saw the kids off the camp and a happy cheerful way? Davened? Write it down!! And it's helping me do bigger tasks too.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:16 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I've struggled with this. This year I started two lists.
One is on my phone and I jot down things I want to get done as they occur to me, big and small. And delete when done.

The other list is helping me more. I write down (in a cute notebook lol) what I accomplish each day. It's easy to disregard the million and one things we do for our families, but it's so strengthening to see it written down. Gave extra TLC to the kid who needed it? Threw in three loads of laundry before lunch? Saw the kids off the camp and a happy cheerful way? Davened? Write it down!! And it's helping me do bigger tasks too.

Love this! I always start with so many things I want to accomplish and so many things always come up! It's a good reminder that even if I didn't do all the things on my list, I still did it a lot!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:51 pm
Organize your home room by room. Choose 1 room to focus on each week.

This looks like it has good lists for each room.
https://nestingwithgrace.com/l.....room/

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:04 pm
Take before and after pictures of everything you clean. It'll make you feel so good. Make sure to take breaks for lunch and self care. It's a big job but so worth it in the end

ynms

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:17 pm
https://betweencarpools.com/?s=30+day

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:43 pm
Thank you all!!

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:50 pm
Do one cabinet/closet every day or two. Start small. Some examples: Bathroom cabinets, go through the toiletries/medications and give away or throw out anything you wouldn’t use (check meds for expirations!). Closets. Categories of toys (puzzles one day, etc.) Books.
The little projects will add up and will help you feel accomplished.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics