Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Installing formica or laminate sheets on top of countertops

jf

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 6:08 pm
I'd like to replace my formica countertops, but a contractor recently suggested that instead I get new formica sheets made to size and have them installed right over the counters. Easier, cheaper, faster.

He suggested I look at Home Depot, where you can choose laminate sheets and matching edge pieces in a variety of patterns from Formica's fx180 product line.

Does anybody have experience with anything like this? It's a new idea for me.

crocodile_doo

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 7:38 pm
Following

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 7:48 pm
I don’t understand how this would save much money since you would still no labor to prepare the old counter and install the new one. I would investigate the cost of new Formica counters before I did anything

jf

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 8:15 pm
Amarante wrote:
I don’t understand how this would save much money since you would still no labor to prepare the old counter and install the new one. I would investigate the cost of new Formica counters before I did anything

My backsplash is old and not installed well--removing the countertops would require destroying the backsplash, which I don't want to do.

jflower

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 5:32 am
It sounds like a brilliant idea to me. Maybe when you're in Home Depot looking at the laminate sheets, they can suggest an installer. If so, make sure you get recommendations from actual people who did what you're aiming to do.

Last edited by jflower on Wed, Jul 05 2023, 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

jflower

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 5:37 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uObZY3YI6AM

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jul 05 2023, 6:36 am
Nice video. Depends on the laminate. If it has a curved edge where the counter meets the backsplash or has a fancy front edge, this will not work. If it's all straight lines at the front and back edges, then yes.

My husband made a few counter covers a few years ago for Pesach out of sheet laminate and ¼" plywood. He's a decent amateur woodworker but you really need a pro to do this.

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen now and probably will have some new Pesach counter covers made, because I prefer to not boil my countertops. DH's covers worked well enough, but it's hard to get the laminate to lie flat when attaching it to the substrate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars