Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Shoes for a baby learning to walk

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:10 am
My baby is just starting to walk and I want to get her a good pair of shoes. Does anyoen have suggestions for brands?

She has crocs and Robeez slippers and had a cute pair of sneakers but she lost them last weekso now I figure I will repalace them with something else. Also her feet are tiny (size 2) so I need a brand that makes them really small.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:12 am
You want a regular good lightweight pair of shoes. A regular shoe store might have them. Dd was also a 2 and I got a great pair.

yummydd

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:14 am
Pediped makes small shoes and are excellent for this stage.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:16 am
I was told that it was better to be barefoot whenever possible, when learning to walk. Obviously, this only works at home. For outside, I always bought shoes like Stride Rite. I'm not a real believer in Robeez and things like that, which are cute but are basically leather socks. Instead of that, I'd just use socks with little rubber things on the bottom.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:20 am
I'm not a fan of the robeez either but they were a gift but she basically wears them as slippers with her pyjamas that don't have feet.

I will look into the pediped and stride rite

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:21 am
I got my baby Ecco. Excellent shoes. You can get them at Nordstrom's.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:27 am
I'm on the pediped website and they are too cute!! I want them all!! But are the originals that are softsoled okay for walking outdoors?

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 11:48 am
DD had the brown with the pink pokadots. She used to walk a lot with them outside. I used to wash them in the machine and they still looked new.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:07 pm
my daughter is wearing a size 6-12 months. and I have to tell you, they are just ok. they dont have any grippers or anything and they are slippery. I have them in size 12-18 months also, but I just might sell them and let her have something more substantial.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:35 pm
shayna do you find she is slipping when trying to walk?

What shoes would you recommend?

mommalah

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:40 pm
ditto Clarissa!! I heard the same. I only get shoes for outside for when they are already walking. What 6 month old needs slippers or soft shoes for around the house or outside? I love how these companies have parents thinking their kids need special shoes for when they start crawling, cruising, standing etc..The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Another way to spend money on something people don't need.

shayna82

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:47 pm
stride rite. umi, primigi

yes, she slips a little with them.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:49 pm
mommalah wrote:
ditto Clarissa!! I heard the same. I only get shoes for outside for when they are already walking. What 6 month old needs slippers or soft shoes for around the house or outside? I love how these companies have parents thinking their kids need special shoes for when they start crawling, cruising, standing etc..The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. Another way to spend money on something people don't need.
I agree with you both but what I am looking for is shoes for her to wear walking outside. Something that will protect her feet and be cute too.

Does anyoen have an opionion on the robeez shoes. These are the ones with the rubber soles.

cubbie

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 12:54 pm
Emee wrote:
My baby is just starting to walk and I want to get her a good pair of shoes. Does anyoen have suggestions for brands?

She has crocs and Robeez slippers and had a cute pair of sneakers but she lost them last weekso now I figure I will repalace them with something else. Also her feet are tiny (size 2) so I need a brand that makes them really small.

3 pairs of shoes and she's "just starting to walk".... mmmmm I'm pleased I don't live in the States - one pair of shoes for my dd which she got once whe was walking well, they outgrow them so quickly.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 1:28 pm
I don't want her to have 3 pair of shoes I just want her to have one good pair. The robeez were a baby gift when she was born and they only now fit her but I don't feel comfortable with her wearing them outside. The crocs were also a gift and they are not real and only cost $4. But these are no good for walking because they are so wide she trips over them.

Bottom line is I just want her to have a decent pair of shoes she can walk in.

Emee

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 1:30 pm
Also my kids don't outgrow shoes very quickkly because they have very small feet that seem to stay small. My 4.5 yr old is wearing the same shoes as when she was 2. (And no nothing is worng with her)

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:32 pm
no shoes at home - and when dd started walking I went to the store and got her properly fitted for shoes. They were expensive but I'd rather her have one good pair then 1 robeez, 1 pediped etc. Plus I watched my friends baby who was just learning to walk slide across the floor in those pedipeds, and once she fell really badly because of how they slip and slide.

At first DD couldnt walk so well in them but she got used to them within a few days. Now she brings me her shoes when we go out for me to put them on. I couldn't delay getting her a good pair of shoes because once she started walking she always wanted me to put her down so she could walk - especially outside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics