Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
Manchester schools

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 11:30 am
Hi

We are thinking of relocating to Manchester a year from now. Can anyone tell me what the school situation is there? Is it easy to get places? We are currently in Israel, Charedi (but want a secular education for the kids) and have kids ranging from toddler to teen.

Thanks

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 11:38 am
Which schools do you send to in Israel?
The schools in Mcr are extremely full and difficult to get places in even if you're already living there plus depending on the age, your kids could have a lot of catching up to do. The schools do not like taking older kids who are not up to age level.

You'd have to get hold of the books the schools are using and spend the year getting them up to level.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 11:42 am
very Charedi ones. Yes, they would have a lot of catching up. Their English level is good though

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 11:56 am
It will be very difficult to get them in.

Boys high school might be okay. Primary school for both boys and girls is a nightmare and girls high schools even worse.
Do you have anyone there who can pull strings for you?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 12:39 pm
Do you know of any smaller frum communities in the UK where it would be easier to get them into schools? We would also consider London.
Thanks for your help

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 12:45 pm
Gateshead maybe?

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 12:53 pm
Come to Edgware!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 1:12 pm
Could you give me more info on Edgware? Schools, housing etc? thanks

Is Gateshead only for members of the kollel or is it a wider ranging community?

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Could you give me more info on Edgware? Schools, housing etc? thanks

Is Gateshead only for members of the kollel or is it a wider ranging community?

Edgware is a really nice community but the housing is v expensive compared to Manchester or Gateshead.

The community in Gateshead has broadened a bit and there are now lots of “working” families as well as kollel families. And housing is extremely affordable.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 1:35 pm
In Edgware there are primary schools, Beis Chinuch and Tashbar, we are really happy with both. For high schools you'd need to send to the gg schools. (BY, Tiferes, Menora, Pardes, Elyon) Gateshead is going through a great deal of politics with its boys schools. Girls is straightforward. Keser, and Ateres.
Edgware housing is expensive, its London prices, slightly cheaper than gg, a lot cheaper than SH, and a marginally more than Borehamwood. Gateshead definitely wins on that front. You're more likely to be able to buy in Gateshead, but there's a list. (IYKYK)
Gateshead has definitely become a lot broader recently, there's a mix of learning and working now, still majority learning/klei kodesh.
They say about Edgware. The only person you compare yourself with is yourself. I.e. Do what you want. There aren't really any Joneses.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 2:57 pm
thanks so much

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 2:23 am
Edgeware and Manchester are probably the most open of the communities with a lot of diversity. Manchester will be cheaper than edgeware. I would recommend coming to england and spending time in the places you are considering, so you get a feel for the community.
It is possible to get into the manchester schools, I know other people who have done it, but yes it can be a struggle. You would need to start the process early. It helps if you have people who can help you.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 4:56 am
OP where are you from?
I would think that for children whose parents are not English and who have grown up in Israeli schools, the switchover for teens would be extremely difficult. Read all the aliya threads with teens and see how much emphasis there is on finding somewhere with kids from the same background. The mentality is very, very different.

Stillgrowing2

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 9:39 pm
Following
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries