Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Toddler won’t wear eye patch

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 1:29 pm
We’ve tried it all. I’m afraid her lazy eye is getting worse since she won’t wear the eye patch. We’ve tried all the tricks.
What else can I do? Really don’t want her to end up needing surgery.

newmommy22

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 1:34 pm
Speak to your opthalmologist but there are drops you can use that will blur the vision in the good eye for several hours.

amother
Midnight

My kids used the drops that blur the eye. I forget what they’re called. It worked great.

amother
Midnight

newmommy22 wrote:
Speak to your opthalmologist but there are drops you can use that will blur the vision in the good eye for several hours.
The drops we used blur the eye for a full week!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
The drops we used blur the eye for a full week!

Is that what it’s supposed to do? Sounds scary though. She verbalizes that she won’t wear it because she can’t see.
Do you use the drops every week until the issue is resolved?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 1:57 pm
My 5 year old just started wearing a patch. We explained in a way that he could understand that he's exercising his weak eye. We bought adorable patches that go over his glasses so it's not uncomfortable for him like the bandaid type. We also took out books about pirates from the library so he could see pictures of other people wearing eye patches.

Is any of that helpful?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:29 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
My 5 year old just started wearing a patch. We explained in a way that he could understand that he's exercising his weak eye. We bought adorable patches that go over his glasses so it's not uncomfortable for him like the bandaid type. We also took out books about pirates from the library so he could see pictures of other people wearing eye patches.

Is any of that helpful?

Thanks for your response. Toddler is now two and a half years old, been wearing it for a few months. She wore it fine at first, then stopped and I got her glasses with one eye covered. We even got her dolly matching glasses with a patch on that one as well. She doesn’t seem to care much. She complains that she can’t see, which is so amazing that she verbalizes it at this age. But still I can’t fully explain how this would benefit her.
Called the eye dr to make an appointment; wonder what he would suggest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics