Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Storing pillow and duvet inserts in-betwee guest visits.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:49 am
I have guest coming to the country house and when I smelt the quilt and pillow it wasn’t the freshest smell even though it’s brand new.

Is it hygienic to store the duvet insert and pillows in the original bag it came in. Or should it be out to air.

Any tips because I really what my stuff to smell fresh and clean!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:52 am
amother OP wrote:
I have guest coming to the country house every week or so and when I smelt the quilt and pillow it wasn’t the freshest smell( because of the summer home). It’s a clean house. No mold just a “old” smell. even though the duvets and pillow items are brand new.

Is it hygienic to store the duvet insert and pillows in the original bag it came in. Or should it be out to air.

Any tips because I really what my stuff to smell fresh and clean!

Genius

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:19 am
I would air it out before and after using. You can also wash it if it still needs it after a good air out.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:19 am
It should be stored in a breathable bag.

qt'sMOM

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:30 am
Following. I have a similar question with my down quilts and pillows for guests. I put them on my kids' beds when we have guests, but most of the year they are stored in a closet. How to prevent smell and mold when they are hardly used and mostly in storage. Down should not be washed frequently!

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 11:07 am
Use sachet: Get a few bars of fragrant soap and put in the bag between the folds of the duvet. Or, if you're lucky enough to have a lavender bush, pick a few stems, let dry, and use that. Or put a few whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, whole allspice, or eucalyptus leaves in a piece of netting, close with a rubber band or twist-tie, and use that.

Stored items should be left out to air every so often. Outdoors is even better than indoors if you can. cover with a cloth to prevent sun-fading.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry