Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Renting out house for Bein Hazmanim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:18 pm
A neighbor asked to rent my house for her sister and 2 kids while I am away.
(Side note but I have hosted her company in the past and they were always clean and respectful of my property.)

I have 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and an in ground pool

What is ok to charge and anything I need to know? It will be for 9 days.

amother
Seablue

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:22 pm
Between $800 - 1200 but I've payed about 900 ...plus A $150 cleaning fee and $200-500 fee towards damages as a hold returned afterwards. If you have fancy expensive stuff lock up ur master bedroom with all ur valuables
Give them numbers of the Plumber and handyman on hand just in case, make everything childproof, dummy proof, lights doors electric stuff as easy user friendly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:34 pm
Well I have a cleaning lady the day they leave anyway so that’s covered
Security deposit is a great idea

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
Between $800 - 1200 but I've payed about 900 ...plus A $150 cleaning fee and $200-500 fee towards damages as a hold returned afterwards. If you have fancy expensive stuff lock up ur master bedroom with all ur valuables
Give them numbers of the Plumber and handyman on hand just in case, make everything childproof, dummy proof, lights doors electric stuff as easy user friendly.

Yep will lock my master with jewelry and silver
We don’t have a fancy house so lights etc should be fine

All great ideas thanks

If anyone else wants to chime in feel free:)

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Seablue wrote:

800 -1200 per day? If it's for all 9 days than I think it's way too cheap. At least 3k in my opinion, probably more. Does it include 2 weekends or just one?

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:19 pm
amother Seablue wrote:

Pretty cool that you've been able to rent a 4 bedroom house for $100 or less a night.

I have no idea of the going rate in Lakewood (I just live here,, dont vacation here) but that sounds more of a "doing a favor" price than a vacation rental price. (As in its actually LESS than what the equivalent of 9 days of regular rent would be on a house plus utilities. 3000/30*9 = 900, you haven't even covered ac, water, and the cost of running your pool ).

I've only rented in thr Poconos, adirondacks, Vermont . In these places vacation home rental prices for a WEEK are equivalent to what it would cost to rent a home in those areas for a month. 4 bedrooms in an oldish house in theses rural areas that ARE NOT as popular as Lakewood. And summer is not peak season there winter is, are at least 300 a night. Usually more.
And no pool. Pools are worth alot to frum people.

But there are plusses here that might make this worth it.. you might be wanting to do a favor, and just cover some of your costs. This fell into your lap, no need to advertise and have complete strangers in your house.

gilamom

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:32 pm
Currently renting in Lakewood for the summer and paying around $1000/week, no pool. Area also factors in greatly, I know someone who rented in Howell because it's cheaper. My friend often goes away for the weekend in the summer and lends out her house to a neighbor without charging but she does ask for $300 to cover expenses like heating/cooling/electricity/water.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 10:35 pm
I would print very specific instructions and rules on how to safely use and maintain the pool for tbe duration.
People would probably know not to jump on your couches, but people who have never had a pool will have no idea of the basics and could potentially either do something unsafe, or not be aware of potential dangers (like how fast a young kid can wander into the pool area unsupervised), or cause significant damage to the pool or equipment.
I would have them sign it, too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:38 am
amother Teal wrote:
I would print very specific instructions and rules on how to safely use and maintain the pool for tbe duration.
People would probably know not to jump on your couches, but people who have never had a pool will have no idea of the basics and could potentially either do something unsafe, or not be aware of potential dangers (like how fast a young kid can wander into the pool area unsupervised), or cause significant damage to the pool or equipment.
I would have them sign it, too.

After discussing with my husband we decided not to rent after all for this reason
We have an extremely delicate and expensive pool system and the money we would charge would not be nearly enough if they broke it

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:44 am
Also we’re not super comfortable with the kashrus aspect … at the end of the day the people renting are strangers

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:54 am
Op, just want to tell even if you're charging are I admire you immensely. You're a special person for doing it. Only once did I give out my house for a very close friend for a special circumstance. I'm wore than willing to host but I must be home.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:57 am
tweety1 wrote:
Op, just want to tell even if you're charging are I admire you immensely. You're a special person for doing it. Only once did I give out my house for a very close friend for a special circumstance. I'm wore than willing to host but I must be home.

Guess my last post made this not relevant🤦 though we do often give our house for Shabbos in, this is just too long without us being around

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
Guess my last post made this not relevant🤦 though we do often give our house for Shabbos in, this is just too long without us being around

Op,you definitely dont have to lend out your house. But you aldo can lend out with limitations if that makes things better for you.. totally fine to specify that your pool is off limits and you don't want them cooking (eg, they eat main meals at sister neighbor).

mom of many kih

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:
A neighbor asked to rent my house for her sister and 2 kids while I am away.
(Side note but I have hosted her company in the past and they were always clean and respectful of my property.)

I have 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and an in ground pool

What is ok to charge and anything I need to know? It will be for 9 days.

I’m renting a 4 bedroom house w a pool for 3000 just for weekend….

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:27 am
mom of many kih wrote:
I’m renting a 4 bedroom house w a pool for 3000 just for weekend….

Oh my… if you are doing this for more than one weekend, it might be cheaper to just take your family to Israel for a few weeks and rent an Airbnb. Not kidding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries