Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Is it only in my community?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:34 pm
That people get IV for fast days? There's a number you can call, pay x amount and have them come to give you fluids as often as needed. I see it's not mentioned anywhere on this site, so I'm wondering if it's unheard of in other places?

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:35 pm
ive seen a few chassidish insta people I follow post about it
never heard of it before

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:35 pm
Yes, I'm chassidish. I guess it's only done by us

Einikel

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:36 pm
Not judging but it's really not lechatchila especially for generally healthy ppl. AYLOR

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I'm chassidish. I guess it's only done by us

Does it help?How much does it cost?
Im already so thirsty TMI

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:39 pm
Yes it does! I think it's about $350 but I'm not sure.

I'm going to be like 2 weeks pp on yom kippur and all I can say is bh for IV!

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:40 pm
I've only.heard it done for Yom Kippur, bc Tisha BAv is easier to be lenient if necessary. And mostly for pregnant women or with medical need. IOW, cases where you don't give heter easily for YK but this is a helpful alternative to make fasting easier.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:44 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
I've only.heard it done for Yom Kippur, bc Tisha BAv is easier to be lenient if necessary. And mostly for pregnant women or with medical need. IOW, cases where you don't give heter easily for YK but this is a helpful alternative to make fasting easier.

it's definitely mostly done for yom kippur. Don't know about tisha bav bc bh I've never had to try it before.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:45 pm
Honestly an IV stuck in my arm all day sounds worse than fasting.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:49 pm
amother Snowflake wrote:

Then I doubt you ever really had a terrible fast....

Grew up watching my mother throw up multiple times and not fully recover for 24 hours after and I think she would totally prefer an IV stuck in her arm all day if she had the option

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:50 pm
If a person needs hydration that badly, I've been advised that it's better to drink shiurim proactively than to get to the point where you'll need an IV. Putting needles in your body unnecessarily is really halachically questionable. It's like injuring yourself and also putting you at risk (albeit small) for infection. Torah does not want us harming ourselves. During delicate stages of pregnancy, post birth, and times of medical need most rabbis will tell you to go ahead with shiurim from the beginning of the fast to avoid needing an IV.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
That people get IV for fast days? There's a number you can call, pay x amount and have them come to give you fluids as often as needed. I see it's not mentioned anywhere on this site, so I'm wondering if it's unheard of in other places?

I see MO influencers talking about it before every fast.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 11:53 pm
I once was on an IV over 9 Av, but that was because of my HG pregnancy and I wasn't allowed to fast anyway.

Getting an IV is a medical procedure that shouldn't be undertaken lightly. I was on IV fluids 24/7 for months, and I had quite a few complications during that time. I would rather fast now and feel weak than take an IV unless there was a real medical need.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 12:07 am
amother Snowflake wrote:

Welcome to my life! I have a midline stuck in my arm for months and months due to HG. My life is one long tisha bav, I haven’t eaten a drop of food or drink in the past 4 months…
Honestly when I saw the people on Instagram showing their fancy iv drips I was a little triggered. They were showing it like it’s the next cool thing to do, like their newest Chanel bag…
Meanwhile I’m stuck in my bedroom turned hospital room for 9 months with IVs for a legitimate reason, and it’s not cool!!
Sorry if I sound harsh, I don’t mean to, but you could survive a one day fast if you hydrated properly before hand. Try a 4 month long fast…

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 12:20 am
seeker wrote:
If a person needs hydration that badly, I've been advised that it's better to drink shiurim proactively than to get to the point where you'll need an IV. Putting needles in your body unnecessarily is really halachically questionable. It's like injuring yourself and also putting you at risk (albeit small) for infection. Torah does not want us harming ourselves. During delicate stages of pregnancy, post birth, and times of medical need most rabbis will tell you to go ahead with shiurim from the beginning of the fast to avoid needing an IV.

My rav holds this way too. I have gotten ivs alot in general and they are wayyyy better than fasting. When I fast I'm in bed all day. I rely cannot function or do anything.

nicole81

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 1:25 am
All the rabbonim I've come across pasken shiurim or even breaking the fast over using an IV.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 2:46 am
I'm chasidish and no one I know gets iv.
There's 1 shul in that I know of that literally has iv on premises YK.
I haven't heard my chasidus accepting that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 2:51 am
Ive only ever heard of this here on this site. Never heard of this in real life.
I asked my rav already a out breaking the fast as I get terrible migraines.
He said yk is shiurim and 9 av is breaking ones fast.
There are no shiutim on 9 av.

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 2:52 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Ive only ever heard of this here on this site. Never heard of this in real life.
I asked my rav already a out breaking the fast as I get terrible migraines.
He said yk is shiurim and 9 av is breaking ones fast.
There are no shiutim on 9 av.

I think this depends who you ask

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 3:21 am
seeker wrote:
I think this depends who you ask

I guess so. But anyone who ive asked has said the same thing.
Because we are fasting for different reasons on 9 av and yk.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note