Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Is it possible that he doesn't understand?

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:01 pm
My son is 2 and 5 months, and I have started to toilet train him over the weekend. I bought a little potty because he was afraid of the big toilet. I did pull-ups for a day, and started on regular panties this morning. I ask him every 2 minutes if he peed in his pants, or if he wants to go on the potty. But he keeps on peeing in his panties.

Is it possible that he doesn't yet understand when he feels the need to pee? I ask him if he needs to go on the potty, he says no, then a second later, he wets his pants. What does this mean?

freidasima

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:03 pm
At that age dont ask him, just put him on the potty every half hour or so for ten minutes and tell him to go. Run water near him, get him used to it.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:05 pm
Very normal. For boys it takes a wihle to learn the sensation before they need to go. My son didnt succ3ssfully get it til 2 yrs 8 months. Just keep putting him on so that he eventually chaps that this is how youre supposed to feel before going. If after 2-3 more weeks he's still not getting it you might need to put the potty away and wait til he's older, like Ii did.

Maya

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:07 pm
I'm considering doing that right now. I don't have 2-3 weeks because he needs to go back to school tomorrow because I'm working. Should I just give up and try again in a few weeks?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:13 pm
At our school kids that age weren't expected to be toilet trained, although all the parents were starting to work on it. At that age, I think my son was sometimes asking to go on the potty (we'd offer now and then, and we did leave it out where he could see it), but sometimes he'd sit on it in his clothes and sometimes without. Some kids are ready sooner than others. We encouraged it in other ways -- we'd watch a video about going to the potty, we'd talk about it when we had to go to the bathroom, we read a book about it which went with the video. Gradually, he got more and more consistent. We didn't switch him to regular underwear for a while, and we didn't use pull-ups at all, as the school didn't allow them.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:25 pm
Very normal. For boys it takes a wihle to learn the sensation before they need to go. My son didnt succ3ssfully get it til 2 yrs 8 months. Just keep putting him on so that he eventually chaps that this is how youre supposed to feel before going. If after 2-3 more weeks he's still not getting it you might need to put the potty away and wait til he's older, like Ii did.

su7kids

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:33 pm
Maya wrote:
I'm considering doing that right now. I don't have 2-3 weeks because he needs to go back to school tomorrow because I'm working. Should I just give up and try again in a few weeks?

Yes, I vote for giving up for now.

Every time you see him making a pee remind him that this is what he's doing. He may not associate the action with the words, and that he has control.

I think closer to 3 is more realistic for toilet training.

Abi Meleibt

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 5:52 pm
I agree with su7kids give up now, ad try again when he is ready!
When he is ready it will be a lot easier for you and he'll understand better what you're expecting of him!!
Good luck!!!!

gryp

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:04 pm
He may very well be ready, but he'll learn quicker what it's all about if he's bare-bottomed.
Hatzlacha. Two of mine were trained before 2 1/2.

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:06 pm
Maya wrote:

Is it possible that he doesn't yet understand when he feels the need to pee? I ask him if he needs to go on the potty, he says no, then a second later, he wets his pants. What does this mean?

I think it's possible that he's just not ready yet. Sometimes boys are trained a bit later. It's amazing how much they can mature in 3 or 4 months.
Good luck.

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 7:44 pm
I let him go bottomless for a few days. It helps him realize it better. He will get to see it in action. Boys love "aiming".

anonymom

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 8:49 pm
I started early with my son (He's almost 2 but we started a few months ago.) He gets #1 totally. He'll stay dry for long periods of time and tell me when he wants to "make a tet (wet) a toilet."

#2 is another story altogether. I think he understands that when he does it he can get undies, which he wants, plus a whole baggie of treats instead of just two jelly beans or m&ms for wet, but he doesn't seem to have too much control. I know he's young.

The funny thing is that every time he dirties his diaper, he says "I make a tet a toilet." And in fact when he dirties his diaper, he does save the wet for the toilet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training