Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is a broken AC considered an urgent repair (Israel rental)
Previous  1  2

ddmom

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 1:19 pm
Call them everyday until they have enough!!

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 28 2023, 6:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
If I pay for the repair, how would I take it off the rent if they have postdated checks?

Stop payment on the check and issue a replacement for a lesser sum.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 4:16 pm
jflower wrote:
Can you contact the bank and put a stop on one of the checks?

She may cancel the check it a fee.

Busybee5

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 6:41 pm
Yes, for me personally it would be an emergency like a gushing leak! (k almost!) . I'd never cope in that heat without!

Raizle

Post Sat, Jul 29 2023, 7:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
If I pay for the repair, how would I take it off the rent if they have postdated checks?
can you cancel next month's check and reissue an amended one? After discussing with your landlord first but that's really not fair of him to do that to you. I'm appalled.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:01 am
How are you sleeping at night??

BatZion

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:29 am
What a disgrace!!!
In these soaring temperatures?!
I'd get a Hebrew-speaking friend or family member on the phone if it's a cultural thing on your part.
Would the landlord let his family members swelter away for a month without ac?!
I'm shocked.

salt

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:37 am
Doesn't it depend if it's on the contract?

Raindance

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:04 am
In Israel the landlord is responsible for fixing things that break. I think it's part of the law even (don't quote this!)...

If you can look through your checkbook and know what number check he has for this month, you can call the bank and tell them not to let it through.
First tell the landlord:

Shavua tov!
My AC is not working in the bedroom, It is your responsibility. I will cancel this month check if it is not fixed. Do you want me to find someone, or do you know someone good/cheap who does this.
In three days if it is not fixed, I am calling the bank...

BTW if you have infants, this is considered a possible PIKUACH NEFESH and might be allowed to fix ON SHABBOS!!

Don't be a freier! Don't let him walk over you. This is serious.

Until it is fixed, put on the one in the living room and leave the door open. It should cool down the rest of the house. Or dampen your clothes a bit to keep cool. Or put a cold bottle of water in your bed to touch your feet while sleeping.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 5:21 am
Raindance wrote:
In Israel the landlord is responsible for fixing things that break. I think it's part of the law even (don't quote this!)...

If you can look through your checkbook and know what number check he has for this month, you can call the bank and tell them not to let it through.
First tell the landlord:

Shavua tov!
My AC is not working in the bedroom, It is your responsibility. I will cancel this month check if it is not fixed. Do you want me to find someone, or do you know someone good/cheap who does this.
In three days if it is not fixed, I am calling the bank...

BTW if you have infants, this is considered a possible PIKUACH NEFESH and might be allowed to fix ON SHABBOS!!

Don't be a freier! Don't let him walk over you. This is serious.

Until it is fixed, put on the one in the living room and leave the door open. It should cool down the rest of the house. Or dampen your clothes a bit to keep cool. Or put a cold bottle of water in your bed to touch your feet while sleeping.
I would also let him know that the cost of cancelled check would also be deducted from the rent.

Raindance

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:03 am
Have you gotten any further?

Do you have an Israeli friend who can talk on your behalf if necessary?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:11 pm
Thank you all for your advice.
Before shabbat they sent a message that someone will come fix it this week- no update yet.
I usually pay rent on the 1st of the month but August is also the first month of a new contract (which has still not been signed because they didn't send me a final version) so they don't actually have any new checks from me yet.

I'm very lost as to how to proceed. Do I just tell them that I won't pay rent or sign a new lease until this issue is resolved- and then once it is do they still get the full month of rent?

Busybee5

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for your advice.
Before shabbat they sent a message that someone will come fix it this week- no update yet.
I usually pay rent on the 1st of the month but August is also the first month of a new contract (which has still not been signed because they didn't send me a final version) so they don't actually have any new checks from me yet.

I'm very lost as to how to proceed. Do I just tell them that I won't pay rent or sign a new lease until this issue is resolved- and then once it is do they still get the full month of rent?

Get someone in yourself, pay up front but take it off next months rent (August)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics