Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
"sleep training"

Seraph

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 9:59 am
How do you "sleep train" a walking/cruising/standing child?

I want my son to learn to go to sleep in a crib, but I find its almost impossible to get him to lie down without holding him down, and that seems like its not neccesarily the best idea.
Swaddling may possibly work, of course he gets ticked off like anything if he cant move, but it gets him to lie down and not stand and cruise around the crib.
Anyone else did this? Suggestions?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:17 am
I remember a time when I had to prevent my dd from getting up in the bed and walking around in it for a little time, like during a lullaby. I would put her back to sleep when she would get up, telling her it was time to sleep, listening to the lullaby, etc, and if she still refused after several trys I would have to hold her down a little time. Generally it calmed her and it worked well.

BH now she has fully understood, I put her in the bed standing, she lies down and waves bye bye!! lol

yikes!

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:20 am
Let him stand in the crib. 'Course he'll cry but after a while he'll give up and lay down.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:28 am
yikes! wrote:
Let him stand in the crib. 'Course he'll cry but after a while he'll give up and lay down.

My parents did this to me, but they couldn't stand the crying either so I never went to bed before midnight or so... it took hours... with my "method" (lol) it takes what... 15 minutes the bad days.
But I understand the holding down can shock some.

yikes!

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:30 am
Singing to my kids just doesn't work. Holding down a child in bed seems "wrong" to me.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:33 am
you have to be consistant and keep at it. put him down, go out, wait a few minutes, go back in, put him down again without saying a word. after a while he will get the message, and it will take faster each time.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 10:34 am
I think singing works only when the child is already trained to not get up.

I see why holding down seems wrong to you. To me too. Unfortunately letting him cry too. And when I hold (nicely!) down while she "unwinds" her energy to be able to sleep, at least I'm there, petting her head, talking or singing to her for most of the time a few minutes (if even needed), while letting cry is alone in the dark for a much longer time (I have heard of babies/toddles who yell for one hour all alone before furious mom enters the room and yells too, or even hit).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics