Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Who remembers? Manchester, UK version!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 10:26 am
amother Aqua wrote:
It was next door to where shefa is now, it didnโ€™t last long but it was so good

How many years ago?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 4:42 pm
This is bugging me.
There was an Asian shop that was in some low area, and people got their kids suits there.
Anyone remember what it was called? Something with an S I think.

Eta: was it Sana trading?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 5:49 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Milky dream! ๐Ÿ˜‹ We used to go as sem girls

Same! I was in sem about 9 years ago. When did milky dream close?
Girls loooved the chili fries ๐Ÿ˜†

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't remember it.

Maybe it was called cafe sheli โ€ฆI donโ€™t remember, it was around 15 years ago.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is bugging me.
There was an Asian shop that was in some low area, and people got their kids suits there.
Anyone remember what it was called? Something with an S I think.

Eta: was it Sana trading?

Yes - Sana Trading - we used to get all sorts there, especially suits, but also dresses,suitcases, homeware

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:49 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Same! I was in sem about 9 years ago. When did milky dream close?
Girls loooved the chili fries ๐Ÿ˜†

I don't remember exactly when it closed. We now have noshers chilli chips to enjoy ๐Ÿ˜‹ my son's favourite Smile

What used to be where noshers is now?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:50 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Maybe it was called cafe sheli โ€ฆI donโ€™t remember, it was around 15 years ago.

That does ring a bell but I was living in Israel 15 years ago so could be I missed that one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:52 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
Yes - Sana Trading - we used to get all sorts there, especially suits, but also dresses,suitcases, homeware

Yeah it's a shame that it closed down.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:53 pm
Please change title to Manchester UK version. Started a Golders Green one:)
So much fun

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:58 pm
amother Aqua wrote:

Yes!!! This is the one I was talking about that I didn't know the name!

I honestly still think about their shnitzel baguettes they were insane!!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 02 2023, 6:59 pm
Anyone remember woolworths? And 'the big w" in the fort?!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 1:07 am
amother Blue wrote:
Anyone remember woolworths? And 'the big w" in the fort?!

Yes woolworths and Ethel Austin? On cheetham hill! What was the big W? I remember when the fort opened, it was so exciting.
Who remembers Dunnes in Ancoats?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:02 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Please change title to Manchester UK version. Started a Golders Green one:)
So much fun

Thanks! We Londoners will leave you mancunians to reminisce:)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:06 am
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Thanks! We Londoners will leave you mancunians to reminisce:)

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‚
It could've been on the same thread though, because some of us Mancs know London well too and may remember things. I remember Sharon's bakery...

amother
Dill

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:24 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes woolworths and Ethel Austin? On cheetham hill! What was the big W? I remember when the fort opened, it was so exciting.
Who remembers Dunnes in Ancoats?

Big W was the giant woolworths that opened on the opposite side of the fort. It was where B&M and Matalan then went. And now it's Lidl, and matalan is closed.
In Ancoats I remember the whole row of shops, including Toys 'r' us and mothercare. And we loved the tree lift in mothercare. All of which are now gone.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:30 am
Aaaah this thread is making me smile!!

I worked in Kosher Delights for a bit.
Woolworths, Ethel Austin, Cheetum 'ill Wink
That dreamy crembo from Swiss Cottage- tried explaining how their Crembo is like a different world to the nasty Israeli crembos to my Israeli husband (I love many things about Israel, but I can't deal with the Crembos after being spoiled by Swiss Cottage Wink )
I was a John's Gym-goer
And the fruit-and-veg shop on King's Road that apparently is no longer around- that was a big part of my childhood- owned by non-Jews- what was it called?
Ha this is fun!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 5:34 am
amother Dill wrote:
Big W was the giant woolworths that opened on the opposite side of the fort. It was where B&M and Matalan then went. And now it's Lidl, and matalan is closed.
In Ancoats I remember the whole row of shops, including Toys 'r' us and mothercare. And we loved the tree lift in mothercare. All of which are now gone.

Ah don't remember it. I miss Matalan there.
Yes I remember the tree lift in mothercare. We loved it as kids and then took our own when they were little. Didn't it have a big slide at the entrance too?

And there was a little soft play in the new mothercare in the fort. That was a good little outing for a rainy day with very young kids.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 6:05 am
I'm out of Manchester for too long, you took me on real memory lane! Problem is I don't know what it looks like now to know what closed.

Who remembers the old Jewish High building? and when no one would go to lower Broughton or Crumpsall at night because it was too dangerous?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:30 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I'm out of Manchester for too long, you took me on real memory lane! Problem is I don't know what it looks like now to know what closed.

Who remembers the old Jewish High building? and when no one would go to lower Broughton or Crumpsall at night because it was too dangerous?

Course I remember Jewish high, I went there! And my chasuna was one of the first that took place in the new Jewish high hall Smile
I only remember further down cheetham hill being dangerous, I never walked down lower broughton area. It certainly wasn't a Jewish area back in my days.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 03 2023, 3:33 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Aaaah this thread is making me smile!!

I worked in Kosher Delights for a bit.
Woolworths, Ethel Austin, Cheetum 'ill Wink
That dreamy crembo from Swiss Cottage- tried explaining how their Crembo is like a different world to the nasty Israeli crembos to my Israeli husband (I love many things about Israel, but I can't deal with the Crembos after being spoiled by Swiss Cottage Wink )
I was a John's Gym-goer
And the fruit-and-veg shop on King's Road that apparently is no longer around- that was a big part of my childhood- owned by non-Jews- what was it called?
Ha this is fun!

I don't remember the old kings road well because I grew up near Leicester Road. But do you remember yaffes hardware shop bury old rd? The owners were elderly and lived upstairs! That didn't close so long ago. Gingers? I had my hair done every week there LOL
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating