Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Strep- can I start medication before getting result?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:10 pm
My 3 yr old had strep a couple months ago, and now I think its back. We went to the urgent care yesterday and they did a throat culture, but its been 24 hours and I still havent gotten results yet. My son is literally crying in pain..

Can I just give him the first dose tonight? At this rate I dont see them getting back to me before tomorrow morning and thats ridiculous. I have leftover medication from last time

If anyone has any experience with this id really love to know if even just one dose is ok, just in case the results are negative.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:39 pm
The medicine is a couple of months old and they don't usually use the same one twice, so no. Call the doctor.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 3:42 pm
For some reason I always get results 2 or 3 days after the culture. The instant is negative most of the time. It’s very frustrating! That said, I would not use old meds.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:14 pm
Olds meds are probably NOT expired but chances are they won't prescribe the same med again.
Also, overuse of antibiotics can be a problem and if you start and it turns out negative....

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:17 pm
There is really no legitimate reason why you should have leftover antibiotics. Did the doctor prescribe it before the culture came back and then it came back negative? That’s the only thing I can think of.

This may seem unrelated but it’s certainly possible that not finishing the full course of antibiotics the first time contributed to him getting sick from strep again so soon.

seeker

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:32 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
There is really no legitimate reason why you should have leftover antibiotics. Did the doctor prescribe it before the culture came back and then it came back negative? That’s the only thing I can think of.

This may seem unrelated but it’s certainly possible that not finishing the full course of antibiotics the first time contributed to him getting sick from strep again so soon.

No there's often a little extra in the bottle. Especially since the bottle amounts are standardized but then the specific dosage depends on the size of the kid. So it's usually not exact.

But the kids antibiotics are liquid and dissolved and refrigerated and I wouldn't trust them to still be fresh after a couple of months, in addition to the other issues with using antibiotics outside of medical supervision.

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:45 pm
Agree with all the above.

Just to add, if yesterday's test ends up coming out negative (possibly cuz it was too early to detect) you won't be able to test again because the antibiotics can give false negative.

daredevil

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:48 pm
Can you give tylenol for the pain meanwhile?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics