Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
What if my water breaks during class?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:48 pm
This isn't my first pregnancy, but it is my first one since becoming a teacher. I keep on worrying about this! What would I do if this happens? I teach 3rd grade... would I explain (in very general terms) or just let the kids think I peed on the floor?! Do teachers wear adult diapers in their 9th month in case of this?

With one of my kids, my water breaking was the very first sign of labor and it wasn't a little bit, it was like a puddle on the floor situation...

reality mom

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:49 pm
Get poise pads. Highly absorbent and thick. Wear it to work.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:50 pm
In most cases labor starts before the water breaks

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:53 pm
Keep a cup of water/ open water bottle on your desk. If something happens, you accidentally spill the water.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 2:55 pm
Happened to my friends when we were in ninth grade.

The principal explained it to them after to those that didn’t know what it was.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:00 pm
The poise idea is a good one. I think I read that only 10% of women have their water break before labor. Mine did on two occasions. I felt a pop and some dripping. However, the water coming out was really no more than a trickle. It wasn't huge gushing like they show in the movies but you did have that prior puddle situation. You should still probably be covered with a pad. But if you're really worried, also keep a washcloth or hand towel in your purse. Not sure what your past experience has been like, but you might also feel more comfortable spending more time off your feet at the end as that's when many women have swelling.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:02 pm
I had my water break with meconium. It was a mess. If I was teaching I’d wear something.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:02 pm
amother Lily wrote:
The poise idea is a good one. I think I read that only 10% of women have their water break before labor. Mine did on two occasions. I felt a pop and some dripping. However, the water coming out was really no more than a trickle. It wasn't huge gushing like they show in the movies. You should probably be covered with a pad. But if you're really worried, also keep a washcloth or hand towel in your purse. Not sure what your past experience has been like, but you might also feel more comfortable spending more time off your feet at the end as that's when many women have swelling.

I had Niagara falls by one of my labora but only after some hours of early labor

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:22 pm
I started my maternity leave early cause I feared this scenario.

Joke was my water broke at the end during this labor.

Taught hs so wasnt everyday

bsy

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:32 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Keep a cup of water/ open water bottle on your desk. If something happens, you accidentally spill the water.

My relative did this. Always had a cup of water in case she would need to "spill" it

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:34 pm
amother Tan wrote:
In most cases labor starts before the water breaks

I don't know if this is true or not but like I said, it's already happened to me once that my water broke before labor started...

Fabulous

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:

I did this to prep but turns out my water just started leaking during class and this wasn’t necessary (my tights kept it in)

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:13 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Happened to my friends when we were in ninth grade.

The principal explained it to them after to those that didn’t know what it was.

Third grade isnt 9th grade

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:35 pm
I reach upper high school. Def a fear of mine … had my water break at the beg of labor by three of my preg s already… following…

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 4:43 pm
I like the cup of water or bottle idea. I know someone who's water broke right when she was making a birthday party for one of her kids. She had to call each parent to get their kid early...

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:25 pm
My labor always starts with my water breaking. I am a teacher and my water broke at 10 am when I was standing in my living room. Had it not been during Covid when schools were closed, I would have been standing in my classroom that morning at 10 am. With my other kids my water broke on the middle of the night.
Wear a thick pad OP or stop working a few days before your due date. Bshaa Tova!

Dumbledore

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 4:53 pm
My highly pregnant teacher in 8th grade bought in a cup of water every day and kept asking students to bring more if she finished the previous. When she came back from maternity leave we spelled out mazel tov with cups of water on her desk!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics