Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do you have planned activities every day?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:53 am
We try to do fun family activities on Sunday. During the week, we have a few hours between coming home from school and bedtime (longer stretch in the summer) and I don't really plan anything for that time. We have a nice yard to play in when the weather is nice, and books, toys, games, and yes, some screens for indoor activities. I work full time, so the hours between 4 and 8 are about getting dinner on the table, making sure homework happens, making sure bathing happens etc. If things go particularly smoothly I might join in on a game or craft, but generally the whole point is kids are occupied while I get stuff done (or, heaven forbid, take a 10 minute breather to do my own thing). I almost never do an outing during the week except occasional slurpees on the way home from school or if there's a local event happening that looks interesting. Anyway, there's someone in my life who's Super Mommy Extraordinaire who said I need to do more with my kids, and I feel very guilty that we're not going to the park or going to some local fun place 3 times a week because I just don't have the energy or the inclination for it, but maybe I'm wrong and I need to figure it out somehow?

NechaMom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 9:56 am
Of course not. Who needs planned activities all week?
If you have the kids home Sunday it’s a good idea to have some plan for the day. Doesn’t have to be major and doesn’t have to be an outing but my kids do better when there’s something scheduled. A play date, crafts, etc.
For the rest of the week I don’t think it’s necessary.

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:25 am
Absolutely not. Your kids need to have some unstructured time in their life, both for downtime and to teach them to plan some of their own activities.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:28 am
No, I’m not a head counselor, that’s what daycamp is for

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:30 am
Unstructured playtime for kids is very important for their development. So many experts are saying that todays kids are really lacking in this area.

Don’t let anyone make you feel bad about it. It’s nice to plan light and fun things for Sunday. But during the week it should be easy and unstructured.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:50 am
My older child needs lots of stimulation especially after a long day of sitting in school so most afternoons are planned. He’s taking arts and crafts, soccer and Ju Jitsu this winter. When the weather is nice we meet up with friends in a park and bring a potluck dinner.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 10:52 am
No. Unstructured time breeds imagination and creativity. They’re structured all Day. The only thing that’s structured is dinner (at the set table at 6:30) and bedtime

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 11:05 am
SuperWify wrote:
My older child needs lots of stimulation especially after a long day of sitting in school so most afternoons are planned. He’s taking arts and crafts, soccer and Ju Jitsu this winter. When the weather is nice we meet up with friends in a park and bring a potluck dinner.

Lol. Sounds like my son . He does swimming , parkour , basketball, piano. But that’s because he’s the only one home in the evenings and it’s hard for me to entertain him myself and I don’t want him watching tv all night . But if your kids are entertaining themselves then you’re doing great .

DVOM

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 11:14 am
Is that person in your life who's suggesting more structure someone you respect and trust? What is she seeing that's making her believe your kids need more? Sometimes people on the outside looking in can see things I can't. Maybe ask her why she thinks your afternoon routine can use a shake up.

I find that some additional structure is good for my kids. They love outings. I wish we could just sit home, quietly and happily playing with our toys, and sometimes we do, but we do better with activities outside the house to look forward to.

My kids go to martial arts 5 times a week after school. We rent a neighbors pool in the summer. All year long we do lots of family hiking, fossil hunting, biking, walks on the boardwalk or beach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics