Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Food for shabbos from machaneh yehuda

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:23 pm
We are making our sons bar mitzvah in israel. It is going to be very low key since I have one sibling here with a family and a single brother in law coming for the meals . The meals will be in the apartment we are staying at.
Is it crazy for me to just get the food from machane yehuda? Like schnitzel and salads? Are there mehadrin places there? Is it fresh, good?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
We are making our sons bar mitzvah in israel. It is going to be very low key since I have one sibling here with a family and a single brother in law coming for the meals . The meals will be in the apartment we are staying at.
Is it crazy for me to just get the food from machane yehuda? Like schnitzel and salads? Are there mehadrin places there? Is it fresh, good?

Mehadrin im not sure about, but the food is tasty and its easy to find variety. So if you just walk by the stalls you should be able to see the hechsher or you can ask. If not, there's also the option of buying frozen shnitzels and cigars and whatnot if you can't find meat that's mehadrin and then filling in everything else.

Shuly

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 5:51 am
The shuk is notorious for having hechsher issues. Every store writes Badatz on their signs and they all claim to be mehadrin while you will be hard-pressed to find one with an actual good, not expired teudat hechsher.

That being said, do you have to shop there? There are so many other take out places in Yerushalayimwith good hechsherim where you can pick up all the food you need for shabbos.

Try Goldy's - the food is amazing and they have a huge selection.
https://en.goldys.co.il/

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 5:49 am
Goldy‘s is great, I have ordered from them often.
Are there any other reliable options in Yerushalayim for smaller orders?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 5:52 am
Hadar Geula is also good. They I love some of their salads.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 5:54 am
Shabbos Kodesh does all size orders and it's super yummy.
Also you could get food from chofetz chaim, which is pretty near the shuk.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 5:57 am
amother OP wrote:

I know a large family that does this every time they come to Israel (pretty often).

eli7

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 6:14 am
Shuly wrote:
The shuk is notorious for having hechsher issues. Every store writes Badatz on their signs and they all claim to be mehadrin while you will be hard-pressed to find one with an actual good, not expired teudat hechsher.

That being said, do you have to shop there? There are so many other take out places in Yerushalayimwith good hechsherim where you can pick up all the food you need for shabbos.

Try Goldy's - the food is amazing and they have a huge selection.
https://en.goldys.co.il/

I don't know anything about prepared food in the shuk or the places that sell it, but I want to point out that for produce and baked goods, this is inaccurate and could be misleading. There are stalls in the shuk with rabbanut certification, some with badatz, and some with other supervision; you can ask to see the teuda everywhere for full kashrut information.

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 7:19 am
amother Blue wrote:
Goldy‘s is great, I have ordered from them often.
Are there any other reliable options in Yerushalayim for smaller orders?

Agree. Goldys was really good and they deliver for a small fee.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 7:21 am
agree
Goldys
Shabbos Kodesh
mazel tov!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions