Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Dental IV Sedation Cost

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:25 pm
We were sent to Sun Dental in Toms River (info@generaldentistrytr.com). They quoted 2k for the IV Sedation part. She has 7-8 cavities. Is that price normal? Feels mighty expensive.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:44 pm
Most people use insurance to cover this kind of expense

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:19 pm
Im very happy for those people. I guess my question is for people who looked into paying out of pocket.

We are fortunately or unfortunately not on Jersey Care. Dental Insurance doesn't cover IV sedation. Medical insurance only kicks in for general anesthesia in a hospital setting.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:23 pm
Sounds normal to me. Most insurances cap out at a certain amount (mine is $1500) so I still had a few thousand to pay with sedation and the fillings themselves

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:36 pm
Crazy. I tried calling other places for a quote , offered to send over x rays so it's clear what needs to get done. All I got was come down for a consultation we can't even give you ballpark what it would cost blah blah.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 2:07 am
How old is the kid?

We had a dentist tell us that we need to sedate our kid because she wouldn’t even open her mouth. We tried again with a different provider in the practice and she did just fine.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:38 am
Did you get a second opinion if all those fillings are needed at all?

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:48 am
We had to do sedation for our 7 year old. The insurance covered the dentistry but the anesthesiologist was $800 out of pocket.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:49 am
BTDT. Tried numerous dendists. Nothing worked and all confirmed the cavities. Most are obvious to the naked eye.

I came here regarding the cost. If anyone paid out of pocket, how much did they pay.

Would love if the focus can be on that.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:54 am
amother Cognac wrote:
We had to do sedation for our 7 year old. The insurance covered the dentistry but the anesthesiologist was $800 out of pocket.

Wow. Who did you use? How long ago? How many cavities. Aka how long was the appointment.

Yes they want 2k just for the sedation. The cavities are covered by insurance.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:05 am
The sedation was the cheap part by my kids dentist. I think like 350 but had to fill 10 cavities was like 4K total.
Ocean pediatric dental on Lakehurst road
Paid out of packet
They do have a payment plan

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:15 am
amother Ebony wrote:
The sedation was the cheap part by my kids dentist. I think like 350 but had to fill 10 cavities was like 4K total.
Paid out of packet

IV sedation or oral. She was totally out?

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:49 am
amother OP wrote:
IV sedation or oral. She was totally out?

Totally out with versed. When she had another cavity I just did the laughing gas

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:59 am
Check to see if your health insurance for kids comes with dental insurance. It turns out my kids have two dental plans, one is dental insurance and one is from health insurance. So when we had to use sedation for one, the dental part of health insurance covered most of the sedation (I think it was laughing gas). The dental insurance didn’t cover it at all.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:21 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Paid out of packet

I just called them and they said it's between 1,800 and 2k and due that day in full.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:32 am
amother OP wrote:
I just called them and they said it's between 1,800 and 2k and due that day in full.

Just the sedation?? Don’t remember was that much

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:36 am
That seems like a lot to me. I live in NY but in 2020 I had wisdom teeth removed with IV sedation and I paid $600 out of pocket for it.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:59 am
This is normal we did this with our dd who won't go to the dentist she had 8 cavities and a few root canals done during sedation. We paid about $5k all together for the work and sedation.

We tried so many dentists and none worked so this was the only option.

After we had it done one of the teeth had to be shaved down so we got her noise cancelling headphones and that seemed to work she let the dentist do the work we also spoke to the dentist beforehand and he made sure she was comfortable and he kept her calm by cracking jokes non stop. It was a real miracle she let him do it and we hope it will continue so we don't have to do this again.

This dentist didn't take our insurance but if she will let him do work in the future I will gladly pay out of pocket to avoid sedation.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:35 pm
It sounds worthwhile to shop around. Be aware OP when people tell you how much they paid, anesthesiologists will charge more for pediatrics than adults, especially if you’re getting a board certified pediatric anesthesiologist, which you should be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries