Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Bal Tashchis: What is included in this?

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 4:44 am
[There is a thread & a spin-off thread so we dont need a third thread to discuss the same topic but I wanted a positive thread on this.]

Of course most of us learned it in regards to food as early as pre-school but what are all the other factors in life that this would apply to?

And how far do you think this mitzvah goes? Into how great detail?

I think throwing out used but good condition clothing & such is bal tashchis.

But at the far end, what about recycling vegetable compost, or not wasting water? Does it obligate us to extra work or that is like a chumra but not basic?

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 4:53 am
I think it is relative. There are things like organic garbage that people in the country or with homes find it easier to make into compost and the like. I try to separate my garbage but for what? In the city here in EY there is no recycling except for plastic bottles... I wish I could do more. Sure I don't throw out food, or clothes, those always get given away, underwear becomes shmattes and the like...we reuse aluminum foil, plastic bags and everything we can...

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 5:26 am
I try not to waste anything.. like buying extra food and having it go bad, for example. I try to just buy what I need.
Wasting water, electricity, gas.. same for that. Throwing stuff out when it could be used for something else.

I had to throw out my old laptop and felt bad about it, when really it was not usable at all.

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 2:26 pm
red sea wrote:

Quote:
It is Biblically prohibited to cut down a fruit tree for no reason. The prohibition is based on a verse in Parashas Shoftim: When you besiege a city.. to wage war.. do not destroy its trees by swinging an axe against them, for from it you will eat, and you shall not cut it down.. only a tree that you know is not a food tree, it you may destroy and cut down...

As an extension of the Biblical prohibition against cutting down fruit trees, the Rabbis added an injunction against needlessly destroying anything of value, be it an article of clothing, a piece of food, a beverage or a utensil. Anyone who ruins any thing that could be used by others transgresses this injunction. But when the item is destroyed for a purpose there is no issue of Bal Tashchis: Thus:

It is permitted to destroy anything of value for any need, medical reason or monetary benefit.
It is permitted to break a dish under the Chupah to remind us of the destruction of Yerushalayim.
It is permitted to rip apart tzitzis strings in order to replace them with newer or better ones.
It is permitted to burn a table or a chair if one has no other firewood with which to warm himself or cook his food.

http://www.torah.org/advanced/......html

So the mitzva is not about wasting but about destroying things of value for no purpose.

by the way, when writing it in English, people often err and write "ba'al" instead of "bal"

"ba'al" is beis, ayin, lamed which means husband, owner, master
"bal" is bal, lamed and means "don't"

red sea

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 3:30 pm
Motek wrote:
red sea wrote:

Quote:
It is Biblically prohibited to cut down a fruit tree for no reason. The prohibition is based on a verse in Parashas Shoftim: When you besiege a city.. to wage war.. do not destroy its trees by swinging an axe against them, for from it you will eat, and you shall not cut it down.. only a tree that you know is not a food tree, it you may destroy and cut down...

As an extension of the Biblical prohibition against cutting down fruit trees, the Rabbis added an injunction against needlessly destroying anything of value, be it an article of clothing, a piece of food, a beverage or a utensil. Anyone who ruins any thing that could be used by others transgresses this injunction. But when the item is destroyed for a purpose there is no issue of Bal Tashchis: Thus:

It is permitted to destroy anything of value for any need, medical reason or monetary benefit.
It is permitted to break a dish under the Chupah to remind us of the destruction of Yerushalayim.
It is permitted to rip apart tzitzis strings in order to replace them with newer or better ones.
It is permitted to burn a table or a chair if one has no other firewood with which to warm himself or cook his food.

http://www.torah.org/advanced/......html

So the mitzva is not about wasting but about destroying things of value for no purpose.

by the way, when writing it in English, people often err and write "ba'al" instead of "bal"

"ba'al" is beis, ayin, lamed which means husband, owner, master
"bal" is bal, lamed and means "don't"

My theosaurus has destroy listed by waste.

And since it is a lo sasei I am more interested about what you shouldn't be doing rather than what you are permitted to do.

Interesting spelling lesson, I will try to remember that.

So for example if s/o bought a fisher price baby bouncer thing for over 100$ and used it for the 4-5 months that their baby needed it, but doesn't want to store it because they like their space empty & uncluttered. Can they put it in the trash? And more importantly Should they put it in the trash? Where is the Torah view on this?

Motek

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 3:58 pm
red sea wrote:
So for example if s/o bought a fisher price baby bouncer thing for over 100$ and used it for the 4-5 months that their baby needed it, but doesn't want to store it because they like their space empty & uncluttered. Can they put it in the trash? And more importantly Should they put it in the trash? Where is the Torah view on this?

Seems easy enough to leave it outside, accessible. Someone is likely to take it. There is no reason to put a perfectly good item directly in the garbage where people won't see it to take it.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 4:52 pm
Motek wrote:
red sea wrote:

Seems easy enough to leave it outside, accessible. Someone is likely to take it. There is no reason to put a perfectly good item directly in the garbage where people won't see it to take it.

So why not give it to another frum Jew who has a tiny baby and will soon need it? Why leave it outside for a random [gentile] to take it and sell it second hand?

Edited. PM me with concerns. -Crayon210

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 5:23 pm
Motek wrote:
red sea wrote:

there are laws in my city against dumping stuff in the street. nowadays you can list it on a freecycle website, or give it to a charity shop...or give it your friend or relative who needs it!

mumoo

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 5:23 pm
leave it on my front porch. I'll put it in the children's gmach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions