Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Tumeric Chicken

ozeret

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:03 pm
Anyone have a good (easy!) recipe? DH would be most appreciative Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 12:57 pm
I would basically just blend tumeric with some osem soup mix, maybe some "paprika harifa" or cayenne pepper. throw in some carrots, chickpeas, celery, maybe some peppers, and you have yourself a very moroccan looking and tasting chicken!

willow

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:24 pm
Why not add it too the rest of the spices you usually use when you make chicken? Its doesn't have a really strong taste on its own although it gives a lovely color.
garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper whatever you like its easy

Motek

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 1:57 pm
marinade:

3 Tbls soy sauce
3 Tbls vinegar
clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 cup oil

great on chicken and meat

can marinate in advance

cut in small pieces and broil
you can put on skewers alternating with onion, cherry tomato and zucchini if you like
or
use quartered chicken, bake covered for a while and then put in broiler to finish it off

(it's a Frank Perdue recipe which I've made numerous times)

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 2:04 pm
yum, Motek - I am def going to try that for a dinner this week!

ozeret

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 3:07 pm
Sounds great- thank you!

qeenB

Post Sun, Jul 20 2008, 4:10 pm
I make for shabbos a yummy chicken and rice dish that my sefardi mil showed me how to make.
sauté a large onion in a little bit of veg. oil . when the onions are starting to get brown add tumeric salt and pepper. mix it and then add chicken pieces cut in eighths or chicken wings.I usually use dark pieces because thats what we like but you can use both. cover and cook about 20 minutes and then turn over cook another 20 or 25 minutes. add basmati rice with the correct amount of water. if there is alot of juice from the chicken I will usually put a little less. add more salt to taste for the rice and turn the fire up until the water boils. then reduce the flame as low as possible and cook 15 minutes. it comes out really good. you can really put any other spices you like depending on the flavor you want.
I also make something similar but with potatoes and cauliflower. same first steps but cook the chicken for about half hour and then add sliced potatoes and cauliflower and more salt to taste. cook for about another half hour , you can put a spoonful of tomato paste in the potato one for extra flavor

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Jul 21 2008, 6:03 pm
Hi there! It's so weird...just this afternoon I started a new thread about turmeric chicken....here's the recipe that I posted:

Here's a really easy recipe (a one-pot wonder!) for those hectic, last minute shabbos meals:

1 cut up chicken
Olive oil ( about 5 tblsp)
1 large or two smaller cooking onions, sliced
salt/pepper
1 - 1.5 tsp turmeric
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 cup white wine (cooking wine)
4-5 yellow-skin potatoes, cut into large bite-sized cubes

1. Get out a big pot and add onions and garlic and olive oil for frying.
2. Fry onions and garlic until soft and translucent, then add cut potatoes and about 1/2 cup water and stir.
3. Add salt and pepper (as much as you think you'll need), and the white wine and about 2 cups of water. Sprinkle the turmeric into the pot and stir. The liquid should be dark yellowish-orange. If you think it's too light, add a bit more turmeric.
4. Finally, add the pieces of chicken and additional water, so that the pieces of chicken are about 80% covered.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce temperature to a simmer until the chicken and potatoes are well cooked and soft.
6. Serve over rice for a very yummy and easy Sephardic meal.

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Jul 23 2008, 4:51 pm
Hey capitalchick- I made that recipe tonight, it was yum! And I didn't even have potatoes, next time!

I am going to try moteks recipe next Smile

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:08 pm
I made CapitalChick's last night but with hotdogs instead of chicken (we had too much chicken this week). I also did not serve it with rice - the potatoes were enough starch for one meal. I only allow rice and potatoes together on Shabbat Tongue Out

Capitalchick

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:23 pm
Yeah, it's true that potatoes and rice are a lot of starch together, but I always make sure I serve everyone small portions of both so that it doesn't get too much. 2/3 of a cup of basmati rice and 3-4 potato chunks is alright, I think.

TheBeinoni

Post Thu, Jul 24 2008, 11:29 pm
DH claims he wants to be on a diet (been saying that for a longggg time) so I try to be strict.. except for Shabbats! Shabbat everything is allowed as long as it's lichvod Shabbat! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics