Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Biting during nursing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 7:47 am
Any ideas on how to get a six month old to stop biting while nursing?

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:06 am
My strategy was to scream loudly 'ouch'; often my baby would look up and smile or laugh --- my response would be a stern or hurt face. Often after a few times, my babies would learn that this 'hurts'.

What do you currently do when your baby bites while nursing?

DreamerForever

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:18 am
Someone told me this advice she got from a lactation consultant. When they bite, pull them towards you so that it's hard for them to breathe for a second (as their nose is buried in your bre@st). They will stop biting pretty quickly.

It kind of freaked me out, but those new, razor sharp teeth do too Surprised

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:28 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
My strategy was to scream loudly 'ouch'; often my baby would look up and smile or laugh --- my response would be a stern or hurt face. Often after a few times, my babies would learn that this 'hurts'.

What do you currently do when your baby bites while nursing?

I say ow but not so loudly and she laughs. And I make an upset face and say don't bite me but not in a scary way and she still thinks it's funny. It's only been a few times so maybe she'll learn. I also stopped nursing for a few minutes but more because I was scared she'd keep doing it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:32 am
DreamerForever wrote:
Someone told me this advice she got from a lactation consultant. When they bite, pull them towards you so that it's hard for them to breathe for a second (as their nose is buried in your bre@st). They will stop biting pretty quickly.

That does freak me out I don't think I could do that to her. Then again her teeth didn't even grow in yet.

Even her hard little gums hurt I can't even imagine with razor sharp teeth I'm so nervous. And her teeth are close to coming out.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:53 am
DreamerForever wrote:

This exactly!

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 8:57 am
You don't have to be so dramatic about it. Just break the latch and try again. And maybe end the session for a few minutes.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:00 am
It stinks. I really hate being bitten while nursing! Like the phrase "don't bite the hand that feeds you" but literally.

What I do is say no or ouch or no biting and then put him down. And not engage with him until I dont feel annoyed anymore lol. If my husband is around I hand him off. Basically biting ends the nursing session. If he's still hungry I'll feed him again soon but usually the biting only comes towards the end once he's not eating so vigorously.
He's 10 months now (has 2 teeth). Still bites occasionally but less. And if I see he mostly stopped eating and is more playful, I will switch sides or end nursing session, which I think helps prevent it also a bit.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:13 am
mushkamothers wrote:
You don't have to be so dramatic about it. Just break the latch and try again. And maybe end the session for a few minutes.

But I don't want her to bite me with teeth because I heard it hurts a lot.

miami85

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 9:57 am
I usually de-latch baby and close up right away. Some babies understand the "ow" and some don't. Most times they are biting during teething and may do it as a mistake but sometimes they do it because it feels good on their gums.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics