Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Memories of Camp Aguda Midwest

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 7:24 pm
I don't get the BInah, but someone just mentioned to me that they wrote up some camp memories, and there were two letters in the inbox regarding AMW.

I was there in the 7th year and a few years after that.
Anyone remember when they hired two caricature artists to draw all the girls in camp?
Or when the camp nurse (Shami Reinman) joined the play and had a solo?
I remember one year they decorated the entire dining room like a bakery. The food looked edible.
I also remember once when we were getting ready to go on a trip, the head counselor (Chanie Grossman) kept saying, "don't be Suri Feldman!" (Referring to the girl who got lost earlier that year. She was found three days later. )
I remember they used to call up girls to sing solos as Shabbos was ending.
Camp AMW was the first opportunity I had to give a shiur in public. I was asked to speak during shalosh seudos. In my high school, I was never asked to speak for anything. Thanks to that experience, I asked to be a shiur counselor the following year, and that lead to me being interested in teaching in school.
Anyone have any memories to share?

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:18 pm
I have so many good memories there. I think I saw Chanie Bandman here in Lakewood but I was too shy to say hi! But she looks the same exact as I remember her from all those years in camp.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:54 pm
"It's a walk in the moonlight, a talk in the sunlight, a group of girls singing away.... agudah midwest, you're a memory forever...."

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:04 pm
Loved Aguda Midwest! Was there for 2 years and wish I went longer! I hope to maybe send my daughter in a few years IYH!

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:11 pm
Omg!!! The solos!!!! There was two sisters that sang all the time, they were staff kids and everyone requested the same song each time. Rosie and .... forgot her sisters name.

The time they didn't announce the theme until the last week of camp and there was this insane breakout with random doctor suess characters all over camp (it was toit meshugah for yud tes)

Rabbi frank "hacker the packer" on the last day of camp

Sitting in the heat cheering our heads off in order to get lunch (HARD PASS. Why was that normal.) forgot what that was called but ugh.

Mrs simcha always snuck random Disney songs into breakouts and plays 😂
I remember one year the play was Cinderella and it was actually hysterical to watch a kosher version of Cinderella.

Fiddlemans!!!

The excitement of Walmart and slushes/potato knishes from the canteen....

One year we had a curves in the basement where the art room was. So random and I don't know why.

For reference I was there 2004-2010

"Agudah Midwest you're a memory forever... tommorow will build on today!!"

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:21 pm
Summer of In"tense" action the banned "armbands" that had to be collected...do you remember the pledge of allegiance?
The Infl-8-able pillows from year 8... the gold tokens from the gold rush...

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:55 pm
"I love to paint....in the ceramics room....BOOM!"

the Shabbos solos

Mrs. Simchas bagels and kokosh cake

"It's that time of week again, suspense is in the air..."

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:29 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
"I love to paint....in the ceramics room....BOOM!"

the Shabbos solos

Mrs. Simchas bagels and kokosh cake

"It's that time of week again, suspense is in the air..."

Yes I remember those bagles on fast days!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:30 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Summer of In"tense" action the banned "armbands" that had to be collected...do you remember the pledge of allegiance?
The Infl-8-able pillows from year 8... the gold tokens from the gold rush...

I remember the gold rush. That was year 7, right? With chanie Ehrman as Hc?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:38 pm
When we had to collect color coded hangers before shachris and then used them as currency to bid on raw meat hanging in the dining room during breakfast and whatever we purchased was our dinner that night

"AMW we're mamish a cuckoo, we don't care what they all say cuz we're all meshugenah"

Those camp phones

The insane rain that South Haven would get

The shrill joy of earning a trip to Walmart

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:48 pm
Sponge Painting the pool fence

Waking up to find cholent beans in our beds

Popsicles to break out color war on a band motzshab.

the Atlas band from chicago,

turning the diningroom into a barn with all that hay! Square dancing

If you were from Lakewood and NY you were the out of towners!

A tornado siren early one shabbos morning... we had to shelter in the main building and they served us kokosh cake

sruth1

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 10:36 am
I was there for 7 years 1993-1999 years 6-12.

- The summer the ceiling fans ate peoples hands
- I too remember the sister singing at Shalosh Seudos but in my time it was the Mehlman girls.
- The time we woke up to find that that they were serving breakfast in the field and they had died all the milk blue and green
- The summer they set the dining room as a farm
- Fidelands
- Night swim (loved as a camper hated it as a lifeguard
- The summer a counselor got up during lunch and announced that Baltimore is in America not Europe because apparently some girls from New York asked her what Country Baltimore is in.
- The amazing girls and counselors
- The dedication Mrs. Simcha had to camp and all the girls
- I still find myself singing the French National Anthem while I do work at the computer which was in the theme song from year 6. (And other songs at times)

One of my proudest moments as a parent was sending my daughter this year to AMW for the first time hoping she would have the most amazing experience just like I had all those years ago.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:18 pm
Remember when the counselors dropped us off at Walmart and then snuck back in dressed up as crazy shoppers?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:20 pm
Remember color war breakout on July 4... a new South Haven ordinance that you must raise a flag... teams red, white and blue of course!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:22 pm
Friday night after davening.. the whole camp linking hands and walking around the pool... "good shabbos, good shabbos, good shabbos"

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 6:04 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
"It's a walk in the moonlight, a talk in the sunlight, a group of girls singing away.... agudah midwest, you're a memory forever...."

I went the year the color war team was evergreen and they sang this song but ended it with a memory for evergreen….

Who remembers Mrs simchas ice cubes with fruit punch powder. It always looked heavenly 😂
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps