Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Do you wash beets after peeling

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:49 am
if you are fermenting them?

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:10 am
I wash before peeling.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:12 am
I wash all vegetables before and after peeling regardless of what I'm doing with them.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:21 am
amother Maple wrote:
I wash before peeling.

why before?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:24 am
Yes I rinse all fruits and veg after peeling.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:25 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Yes I rinse all fruits and veg after peeling.

do you ferment?

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:26 am
amother OP wrote:
why before?

So I don't get any germs to begin with all over the part we are going to eat. And I prefer to slather up the peel if its coming off anyway with the soap or vegetable cleaner.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:28 am
amother Maple wrote:
So I don't get any germs to begin with all over the part we are going to eat. And I prefer to slather up the peel if its coming off anyway with the soap or vegetable cleaner.

is this when you ferment too? and you dont wash again after?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:
do you ferment?

No, but would fermenting make it more likely that you want dirt in your food? I'm not being sarcastic, genuinely don't know much about fermenting but beets tend to have lots of soil on them and some will remain even after peeling. With other fruits and vegetables I feel that my hands touched the peel and then the fruit itself so I prefer to rinse it in case I transferred anything. Some people I know clean them well before peeling and then don't wash after.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 9:33 am
amother Babypink wrote:
No, but would fermenting make it more likely that you want dirt in your food? I'm not being sarcastic, genuinely don't know much about fermenting but beets tend to have lots of soil on them and some will remain even after peeling. With other fruits and vegetables I feel that my hands touched the peel and then the fruit itself so I prefer to rinse it in case I transferred anything. Some people I know clean them well before peeling and then don't wash after.

I am asking especially about fermenting beets cos I think the washing before rather than after
or just washing without peeling (organic beets) make a diff to the ferment cos of the beneficial bacteria on the skin.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 4:46 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
I wash all vegetables before and after peeling regardless of what I'm doing with them.

do you ferment?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics