Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
6th grader - auditory processing disorder
Previous  1  2  3  Next

JKA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 5:25 pm
If the answer to any of the following is yes, she most likely has an auditory processing problem:

Did your daughter begin speaking very late?
When she did begin speaking was she unintelligible?
Does she have difficulty understanding what's going on in the story when she reads?
Does she sometimes "get lost" when a teacher explains something new?
Does she need directions repeated or explained to her?
Does she have difficulty telling you a story or about her day? Does she only share too much? Too little?

OP please be careful. These are symptoms of language disability which is easily identified diagnosed and treated. They are not symptoms of APD. As another posted mentioned there’s not a lot of data to support APD and there’s no one consensus on its parameters or diagnostic criteria. There’s so much misinformation, especially on message boards like these, it’s important to make sure you know as much as you can from reputable sources (Asha.org for example) and get the right professionals to work with .

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 5:35 pm
Hi op, my daughter has similar issues. Went through hell the past few years. After yt we are starting the Davis program. I'm hoping we see results!

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 5:36 pm
JKA wrote:
If the answer to any of the following is yes, she most likely has an auditory processing problem:

Did your daughter begin speaking very late?
When she did begin speaking was she unintelligible?
Does she have difficulty understanding what's going on in the story when she reads?
Does she sometimes "get lost" when a teacher explains something new?
Does she need directions repeated or explained to her?
Does she have difficulty telling you a story or about her day? Does she only share too much? Too little?

OP please be careful. These are symptoms of language disability which is easily identified diagnosed and treated. They are not symptoms of APD. As another posted mentioned there’s not a lot of data to support APD and there’s no one consensus on its parameters or diagnostic criteria. There’s so much misinformation, especially on message boards like these, it’s important to make sure you know as much as you can from reputable sources (Asha.org for example) and get the right professionals to work with .

This. Lots of well meaning therapists that are unaware of how complicated these diagnoses are. Symptom questionares alone are woefully inadequate to make such a diagnosis. Please get a comprehensive neuropsych test by a pediatric neuropsychologist.

alakewoodmother

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 5:40 pm
Exactly! Auditory processing disorder is a fancy way of saying that she processes auditory information incorrectly.
Well what does that look like in real time? It looks like a language disorder. I really hate when slps use a fancy diagnosis to confuse parents.
Children who don't process auditory information AUTOMATICALLY wind up with some component of a speech or language processing problem. (And as much as an audiologist makes the official diagnosis they honestly don't TREAT the diagnosis because it will manifest as a language disorder).

OP the point of my original post was that you should not discredit the advice you got from the slp in school just because some posters told you that slps don't diagnose apd. They don't HAVE to diagnose it because the diagnosis isn't necessary. The symptoms are the same as any other language disorder - it just has a fancy name attached so that insurance will cover the therapy. (As an aside, if your insurance will cover language therapy for an auditory processing disorder you absolutely should go to an audiologist and get the diagnosis. But the treatment will still be performed by a speech therapist.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:03 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
Hi op, my daughter has similar issues. Went through hell the past few years. After yt we are starting the Davis program. I'm hoping we see results!

Similar issues as I described? Why did you decide to start Davis program?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:07 pm
Michelle123 wrote:
In general, there isn't great data supporting APD. Usually, it is a combination of ADHD and a Language Disorder and/or learning disabilities. Sounds like you are dealing with learning disabilities and possible ADHD. You should consider getting testing done. Go to the neuropsychology department of your local children's hospital.

Should I go to audiologist? Slp? Neuropsychology dept?

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:36 pm
Michelle123 wrote:
In general, there isn't great data supporting APD. Usually, it is a combination of ADHD and a Language Disorder and/or learning disabilities. Sounds like you are dealing with learning disabilities and possible ADHD. You should consider getting testing done. Go to the neuropsychology department of your local children's hospital.

Never ever compare adhd with processing. Not that one is better than the other. But how do you expect a child to sit still in class or wherever when the teacher talks and she doesn't process what teacher's saying. So for her it's teaching Chinese.
Op try to ask friends neighbors or anyone you know that deals with learning disabilities. They usually know best through experience.

JKA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:41 pm
alakewoodmother wrote:
Exactly! Auditory processing disorder is a fancy way of saying that she processes auditory information incorrectly.
Well what does that look like in real time? It looks like a language disorder. I really hate when slps use a fancy diagnosis to confuse parents.
Children who don't process auditory information AUTOMATICALLY wind up with some component of a speech or language processing problem. (And as much as an audiologist makes the official diagnosis they honestly don't TREAT the diagnosis because it will manifest as a language disorder).

OP the point of my original post was that you should not discredit the advice you got from the slp in school just because some posters told you that slps don't diagnose apd. They don't HAVE to diagnose it because the diagnosis isn't necessary. The symptoms are the same as any other language disorder - it just has a fancy name attached so that insurance will cover the therapy. (As an aside, if your insurance will cover language therapy for an auditory processing disorder you absolutely should go to an audiologist and get the diagnosis. But the treatment will still be performed by a speech therapist.)

I’m sorry but this is also misinformation. APD is an accepted disorder-it’s a breakdown in the integrity of the auditory system between the ear and the brain, so that the message is distorted by the time the brain receives it. It is distinct from language disorders but often though not necessarily correlated. It’s the diagnostic criteria that is not agreed upon. It’s difficult to diagnose and much more rare than language disorders, but for some reason people love to throw the label around and it’s over generalized to refer to many disabilities that are unrelated to it. (See post above)

JKA

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 6:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

An slp or, even better, a school psychologist is a good starting point. A hospital that provides evaluation services is also good. I think NYU has a center, Hackensack used to but I think they closed it down. Make sure they’re really reputable. They can refer you on as needed.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would say a neuropsychology. I think They would direct you which direction to go and see if it's necessary to see an audiologist.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:06 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would say a neuropsychology. I think They would direct you which direction to go and see if it's necessary to see an audiologist.

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:16 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:

What made you decide going through Davis program? Are you working with an agency? private? Where are you located? Ever tried feuerstein method?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:26 pm
I came on here to say the symptoms you describe aren’t symptoms of a processing disorder they are symptoms of dysgraphia possibly dyslexia. I didn’t read all the comments but did see that others correctly says only an audiologist can diagnose auditory processing disorder an SLP can’t diagnose that. That is one hundred percent correct. I saw a bit of someone’s post suggesting you ignore that advice and I’m here to tell you not to ignore it because whats true is 1) Only an audiologist can diagnose central auditory processing disorder
2) a SLP that gives a dx that is not in her ability to give you should be weary of
3)the symptoms you describe have nothing to do with any kind of language disorder rather a disorder that affects reading and writing. That would be dysgraphia and/or dyslexia or possibly something else along those lines but has nothing to do with one’s ability to process language. Please get a proper evaluation from a professional that is licensed to give a diagnoses so you can understand the true nature of her challenges to better support her. If it is dysgraphia there is unfortunately little to do (other than OT). My children struggle with this. Some teachers that are understanding have allowed my kids to underline or circle correct answers as opposed to have to write them out. I had one teacher that allowed my son to come home and type his work on the computer and my son excelled in that class! The typical modification and what is done in public schools is to provide a tablet for student to do their work on. I don’t think too many schools in the yeshivish system would allow such a thing but if you want to look into dictate to print options for students that struggle with handwriting there are many of them. The first thing to do is to get a proper diagnosis from a licensed professional

mom24b

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:41 pm
OP this makes no sense an Auditory processing disorder by definition is that the ear is not processing correctly and therefore impacts one’s ability to process information accurately. It has zero connection to reading or writing. Most with auditor processing disorders compensate by reading as they can’t hear the difference in certain words but they can read the word to allow them to comprehend…. If your DD comprehension is good there’s no reason to believe there is any kind of language disorder, language disorders causes challenges in comprehension it has no connection to challenges with reading or writing. Is it possible you are misunderstanding what was said to you or are you not presenting her challenges effectively here ? Something makes no sense it’s not possible to have any kind of language processing disorder and have good comprehension yet it is the cause of challenges in reading and writing. That simply makes no sense. Either we are misunderstanding you or you have misunderstood what was told to you . If you never got a proper psych-Ed evaluation done with a psychologist that is the first thing you should do to be able to have a better understanding of your DDs challenges and an accurate dxs. I don’t suggest you call the teacher yet. If a mother called me and told me their child has a language processing disorder that effects her reading and writing but not her comprehension I would not believe the mother. It makes no sense. You need to get proper diagnosis before you can effectively and accurately share information with the teacher to get your child the correct support and accommodations.

Last edited by mom24b on Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:42 pm
alakewoodmother wrote:

Posts like this are NOT helpful to OP. You are confusing her more. She absolutely needs the correct and accurate diagnosis before attempting treatment. Otherwise, treatment will be futile.

OP, will state again that you need a neuropsych eval.

Dont want to out myself becaue there are not many frum women in my field but I have PhD and know what I am talking about.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:47 pm
I know this is controversial
but did you ever look into vision therapy / prism glasses?

mom24b

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:49 pm
alakewoodmother wrote:

Op says her daughter comprehension is good her DD struggles with reading and writing which is why we are saying it’s not ADP or any language processing disorder. Having good comprehension rules out language processing challenges. The symptoms described have zero to do with processing issues of any kind. If OPs DD has good comprehension like OP says she does , it clearly is not a language or processing issue at all.

Last edited by mom24b on Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

mom24b

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:50 pm
amother Gold wrote:
I know this is controversial
but did you ever look into vision therapy / prism glasses?

This is actually a good suggestion. Conversion insufficiency would cause difficulty in reading and writing .You would need a behavioral optometrist to accurately diagnose this. If you’re in Tri- state area Dr.Leonard Press is the expert. Many ppl from OOT travel to Lakewood to see him.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 7:59 pm
Not to confuse the issue but Dyslexia is in fact defined as a language based reading disability. But language comprehension and expression may be otherwise intact. It’s specific to the language center that processes written information.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 8:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
The school remedial head told me it's dyslexia but when she had a conversation with a therapist I went to she got back to me that she agrees that it's auditory processing.

Are these licensed professionals? I’m skeptical. Any reputable licensed professional should not (and I hope would not) give a diagnoses they aren’t trained and licensed to diagnose.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics