Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Crockpot chicken

married24

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 5:49 pm
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....10089

Anyone ever make this? Super confused by the instructions. 1. It says to put marinade on ao it can marinate and then later on says to pour marinade over everything... 2. What does skin side down mean when it's a whole chicken??

also wondering if putting a liner in the crockpot like I usually do would mess up the recipe here...

Want to make this for shabbos, (would cook it on low not high)

Any tips??

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 6:10 pm
I don't know anything about the recipe, but when it says pour marinade at the end of the recipe, she means pour remaining marinade left in the pan that the chicken was marinating in, over everything in the crockpot.

married24

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 6:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't know anything about the recipe, but when it says pour marinade at the end of the recipe, she means pour remaining marinade left in the pan that the chicken was marinating in, over everything in the crockpot.

Thanks!!

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 6:18 pm
This is a variant of the rotisserie chicken in a crockpot which I have cooked frequently.

In my experience the last thing you need is to add additional liquid as the chicken gives off lots of liquid as it cooks.

I use a spice rub and get it all over the chicken and under the skin. I also cut off the excess fat and skin because who needs it.

I would NOT want to eat any potatoes that had been cooked with the chicken because they would be insanely greasy because of all the fat that collects on the bottom.

I actually put three balls of tinfoil at the bottom of the pot so the chicken is slightly elevated while it cooks.

You cook it with the breast side up - those are terrible instructions but skin down they actually mean the "bottom down"

It produces a very flavorful juicy chicken but these are not a pretty chicken the way an oven roasted chicken is. Because of the slow cooking the collagen essentially comes out of the bones so the chicken essentially collapses because the skeleton is so soft. Also the skin is pretty disgusting because it is rubbery.

Don't get me wrong - it produces a great chicken but don't expect it to be like an oven roasted chicken that is fit for company with crispy skin.

married24

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 6:37 am
Amarante wrote:
This is a variant of the rotisserie chicken in a crockpot which I have cooked frequently.

In my experience the last thing you need is to add additional liquid as the chicken gives off lots of liquid as it cooks.

I use a spice rub and get it all over the chicken and under the skin. I also cut off the excess fat and skin because who needs it.

I would NOT want to eat any potatoes that had been cooked with the chicken because they would be insanely greasy because of all the fat that collects on the bottom.

I actually put three balls of tinfoil at the bottom of the pot so the chicken is slightly elevated while it cooks.

You cook it with the breast side up - those are terrible instructions but skin down they actually mean the "bottom down"

It produces a very flavorful juicy chicken but these are not a pretty chicken the way an oven roasted chicken is. Because of the slow cooking the collagen essentially comes out of the bones so the chicken essentially collapses because the skeleton is so soft. Also the skin is pretty disgusting because it is rubbery.

Don't get me wrong - it produces a great chicken but don't expect it to be like an oven roasted chicken that is fit for company with crispy skin.

Thank you!! Would u not use a liner?

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 08 2023, 6:47 am
married24 wrote:
Thank you!! Would u not use a liner?

I have never used a liner because the crock is always easy to clean with this method as nothing gets baked on.

I do always line my roasting pans with heavy duty tin foil when I cook something in the oven because that kind of cooking seems to result in stuff being baked on especially if there is something in the marinade that caramelizes.

But I don't think it would be an issue to use a liner as this technique is very forgiving.

The original "recipe" was to replicate the taste (savory) and texture (very juicy) of a rotisserie chicken. There are a lot of variants of the spice rub - I do find that it is helpful to rub the spices into the chicken the night before so that they sink into the flesh

Here is an example of the spice mix you could use but feel free to use the flavors you like

In a small bowl, combine paprika, brown sugar, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey