Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do you pop in to check on nanny when she is out with baby?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:08 pm
I have a new nanny for my first baby who is almost one year old. I work from home. Is it ok to just come to the park when nanny is there. Is it insulting for her because it looks like I don’t trust her? I want to make sure baby is happy.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:10 pm
Yes it’s fine
You can even make it look like you are out for lunch or an errand or a walk
But you don’t need to
You can say just wanted to pop over and say hi on a break and see how you are doing or if you needed anything

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:10 pm
Personally, I’d send someone else to ‘spy’.

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:11 pm
You could do that too if easier

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:18 pm
I have done that and also asked a friend to check for me so she isn't aware.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 12:43 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I have done that and also asked a friend to check for me so she isn't aware.

Did you tell her by text or phone that you are coming now or just show up. And did you do it in the first weeks also or let her settle in her job first.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did you tell her by text or phone that you are coming now or just show up. And did you do it in the first weeks also or let her settle in her job first.

Just showed up. I don't remember exactly when but I would do it in the first week, why not? If a nanny needs time to settle in to be doing a good job, she's not the right nanny for me.

Imateacher

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:47 pm
I would check in because I saw two housekeepers “watching” twins at a park. They had the twins sit in the stroller and one was swinging on the swing and the other was sitting I think. Imagine taking twin 1 year olds to the park just to sit in the stroller

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 1:47 pm
Of course!
And I would do it both, in the beginning and a few weeks in.
Even if she knows your checking on her, why is that a bad thing?
It's good for her to know that you might pop by at any time.

(I was actually passing by the playground on my way somewhere and saw my (now former) nanny on her headphones while my kids were just hanging around her bored. I went into the playground told her I'm not comfortable with her being on her headphones while watching my children and to please put them away because im not ok with that and went on my way. When I got home, she started telling me how she takes such good care of them and why was I telling her off, she didn't like that. I reiterated that I am not comfortable with headphones and I don't want her to use them around my children, she can miss hearing something because she isn't paying attention. This was one of my ground rules when I hired her, no headphones and screens while taking care of my children, when their sleeping it's one thing. (Someone I know baby choked while nanny was standing 2 ft away preoccupied with their headphones. She was walking by the room and heard gagging. So this has always been a ground rule for me)

I have a good relationship with my nannies and always check in, I don't see that as a bad thing.

Also, there are so many nannies sitting in the playground with kids just strapped in their strollers while their on the phone, so good to pop in from time to time.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 2:17 pm
Very important. I used to go with my child to the park a lot and it was very rare to see a nanny interacting and playing with the child. They are usually on their phone or talking to their friends. Some sit around in the shade with other nannies and the kids sit in the carriage most of the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics